Can you take the outdoors out of an indoor cat?

wannahelp

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My vet couldn't accurately gauge my male's age when I found him. I think he was a little younger than the estimated 1year. He is fixed.

As far as I could tell, this cat was living entirely outside or, at least, he had been primarily, an outdoor cat that was abandoned at some point. He's been living as an entirely indoor cat since September but his behavior hasn't completely adapted. He's basically tearing up my house.

He has plenty of toys, scratchers, a tree upstairs and down to keep him occupied but I think he's frustrated because he's stuck inside. My female won't play with him and i think he'd rather play with her than me. Another cat is not possible right now and because of the kind of neighbors I have, going outside is not an option either. 

Today, he jumped onto the railing, holding on with his claws and attempted to claw his way up until he fell off. He goes under the bed and sticks his claws into the box spring, while he drags himself around on the floor. He also does that with my sofa. He scratches at my furniture constantly and my doorframe has to be replaced. He just doesn't know how to behave in the house and yelling "no" all the time isn't helping at all. I don't know if he'll ever be content or if he'll ever stop destroying things in the house. Are some cats unable to fully adapt to life indoors?

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The question of whether an outdoor cat can become an indoor only cat is one I'd love to know the answer to. I've never tried it myself, but was seriously considering trying it with a semi feral I'm trying to rescue.

It sounds like your boy has a ton of energy. You say he has lots of toys, but are you actively playing with him? If you can wear him out with interactive toys he might well be less inclined to climb the walls and swing from the ceiling!

It might also be worth trying a Feliway plug in diffuser. I'd also try blocking off under the bed and sofa for the time being.

Lastly, if he's scratching in certain areas try placing items he's allowed to scratch in those places. It's no good saying 'no' if you don't offer a 'yes' nearby. I know it might seem inconvenient, but better that than destroyed furniture!

Good luck

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Do you have the option of creating an enclosed catio for him somewhere outside so he can enjoy the outdoors safely?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wannahelp

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
 are you actively playing with him? If you can wear him out with interactive toys he might well be less inclined to climb the walls and swing from the ceiling!

Yes. I do play with him. The problem is that he's more of a cat's cat. He isn't that interested in playing with people. I've tried all kinds of toys with him. 
 if he's scratching in certain areas try placing items he's allowed to scratch in those places. 
One of his favorite scratching places is the bedroom doorway. I bought a giant scratcher and put it right in front. He still sneaks around and claws at the doorframe.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wannahelp

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have thought about a catio. However, I wouldn't have him out there now because it's just too cold. Plus, I don't know if that alone, will do it, unless I can figure out a way to put an actual tree in there.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He certainly sound like a handful! It's usually the cleverest cats (or dogs/horses) that are the hardest work.

I don't know what else to say. One way or another it seems to be a lack of stimulation (not your fault, I hasten to add). Last ditch attempt to stimulate him indoors is maybe try clicker training with him. I have heard of cats doing the same sort of things that dogs are trained to do...you just need the yummiest food ever and patience. Might be worth a shot?

At least you can't say that life is boring with him around. Maybe you need to get him a personal trainer!;)

nora1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Have you thought about leash training him so you could take him out for walks?? I know you said it's too cold now, but when it warms up, it would give them the chance to go out and explore like he used to do. The catio idea is also a great one! You could always build it high/tall to fit a cat tower! I think he would love it!