Can you make someone stop smoking?

sweets

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My SO is an ex-smoker. I used to ask him to quit. I refused to kiss him after smoking. I would make him smoke outside. All of my efforts got the same response..."Hey, I don't drink, cheat or lie. This is my one vice. I've been smoking too long to quit" Then he had the heart attack. The doctor told him either he quits or he dies. That was enough to make him stop.

You cannot make a smoker quit just like you can't make an alcoholic quit drinking. It has to come from within. But you can set limitations on the habit. He smokes on your deck...one in his favor. But now you need to make sure he doesn't smoke in your presence AT ALL. It will help

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

darkeyedgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's a good man, alright. A gentleman, good ol farmboy who was raised right. I love his parents, they are such sweeties. His mom and I have talked a lot about Chris's smoking. So lots of people are concerned (he was a preemie, not sure if I mentioned that? -- so his lungs were not developed when he was born -- so that is why he gets lung illnesses so much).

But yeah he definitely treats us BOTH very very very well. Opens doors for both of us, never comes to my house empty handed, and well just ADORES all six of my cats (a major plus in my book). He even likes my "biter", big fat Zorro.

I had another long talk with him (all of our talks are long talks, great conversations between me and Chris) about smoking last night via the phone. My daughter sat there with me and overheard the whole thing. He is afraid that my daughter doesn't like him due to the smoking. I was honest about it, I said that's the ONLY thing she doesn't like about him and well it's the only thing I dislike, too. It really honestly didn't bother me at first; I guess cuz all the places we hang out at, there are smokers, and it just didn't bother me. But I'm still having issues post-pneumonia and pain and still on breathing treatments for a while. I never got sick and never felt weird about ciggie smoke, til now.

He did promise me last night that he will not ever light up around my daughter OR on my deck again. I told him if he's in my yard, driveway, deck or anywhere near the vacinity of my property, don't light up. I don't want her seeing it or me smelling it.

I see him having major health issues as he ages... he's all youthful and spritely right now, but in 20 or so years, since he has lung issues to start with? I bet he winds up carrying oxygen around with him, if he doesn't quit.

He's a great guy, always has been. I've never seen an angry side or evil side to him and he's just about the most giving man I've known. A plus is he is nuts about me (what woman doesn't want that, eh). I understand addictions are strong, so does he. I think the talk last night helped a great deal, because he is VERY concerned about how I feel about him, so we shall see.

You can visit my links and see pics of us and pics of him, he's a real cutie along with being a sweetie. Big tough farmboy with a tough habit to kick, I guess. A guy with a smile like he has better give up the cigs or else that smile might not look so gorgeous years from now.