Can you help me with my cat please

catsaremyworld

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello i got my cat calypso when he was 3weeks old and from the day that we got him he has been different in all types of ways hes way different then our other cats to from 3 weeks to about 8 weeks old hos coat changed now hes this beautiful beautiful cat he loves to play in water ride on your shoulders.when someone knocks on the door he runs to the door to see whos there hes vary smart and full of energy all my cats are the same age 1 years old now they do not have the type of energy calypso has his tail is like a raccoon tail he has these little black tips on his ears his coat is shiny with strips and dots we either call him the cheetah cat ,tiger cat or cat dog hes just so different after getting fixed he got fat used to be skinny also i photos dont do him justice.

tobilei

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He doesn't look horrendously overweight, maybe a little chubby. Cats metabolisms do slow down after they've been desexed. What is he currently eating? You could try a lighter food or alternatively cut down on his food a little until he starts to lose some weight (don't cut down too much too quickly though it can cause problems as well). Does he go outside at all? If not does he get playtime? Playtime with you, running around and jumping for toys is a good way to get them to exercise and lose some weight as well. He's gorgeous though :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catsaremyworld

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hes not to over weight just got a really big pouch my vet told me to cut down on the food and start giving him real meats like cooked chicken and stuff like that hes extremely playful i do lots of play time also my kids play with him and he runs around the house woth the other cats he is not an outside cat.

catsaremyworld

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do you know what kind of cat he is?

tobilei

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Okay well it sounds like you are exercising him enough. Some cats do have a pouch called a primordial pouch, my Maine Coon used to have one :) He had a big jelly belly but the rest of him was normal sized. If he is overweight though make sure you measure out any dry food rather than free feeding, you can still give him canned but make sure you follow the guidelines for feeding a cat of his weight (either off the tins or google it, there's lots of info out there on how much to feed a kitty and of course if he's not losing cut back little by little until he is).

catsaremyworld

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Your cats pouch sounds like my cats pouch would it be better to just give him wet food only?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Do you know what kind of cat he is?
I thik he is a regular domestic, ie no especial breed.  but as domestics do contain an enormous gene pool, with  trillions of possible combinations and recombinations, he got an unusual lucky combination. that is why he behaves differetly than your other cats.

The only Im unsure off, if he is a spotted tabby or a broken mackerel tabby.  There are enough with spots on his side to call him for spotted, but if he is it for real, dunno. Spotted and mackerel are two different genes, so the label does matter some.

Perhaps another good pic of his side? and one from his back.  Preferably as adult.  

Re the feeding; with wet food its easier to hold control over the weigh gain.  Dry food contains lotsa of carbohydrates, and an excess of them do fat them up.

Btw, its essentially similiar with humans, where added sugar is the worst cause of fattying.

Cats are   obligatory  LCHF eaters, while   dry food adds carbos...  

Last edited:

catsaremyworld

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also why does he drool wjen he purrs and is in a lovong state its likes puddles of drool lol my other cats dont do that

catsaremyworld

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I get some more pics of him tomorrow in more light he has 6 buttons going down his belly he just weird but it's good to know what he could be ill just stick to wet food for now on

catsaremyworld

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He also will eat everything i do but i won't allow him because im not sure what is good for a cat to as in himam food

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He also will eat everything i do but i won't allow him because im not sure what is good for a cat to as in himam food
Right, if unsure its better to abstain.  Also, you dont want to give him bad habits, alike begging too much, or go on the kitchen table.

Otherwise, most human foods are OK, at least to taste some.

Chokolade isnt good, strong coffe isnt good,  strong garlic flavored food,  and similiar isnt good.  (a barely tasting is probably not as dangerous as they say, but garlic and the similar vegetables, and choklad are poisnous for cats.)

Chicken meat and the internal organs are good.  But cooked wings arent - the bones gets sharp and fragile. Danger.  While raw chicken wings are more OK.  Cats can chase and hunt chickens and birds no?  And they are all raw in nature.

Raw pork isnt good for cats - it may contain a especial virus Auyesky? which isnt dangerous for humans, but is dangerous for cats.  So any pork must be well cooked.

Most other meats may be raw.