Can you help me identify?

itsimplykc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! This is my kitty Dice who we rescued off of our street. We have noticed a dark spot on her chin on and off before but now it looks like a mass. She doesn’t allow us to inspect her as she is still semi-ferel. It’s very traumatizing to trap her and take her to the vet as she is already so skiddish so looking for help before resorting to the vet. Thanks for any help!
73FF7E1A-40A8-4DE7-95D4-1A704AEAFDCC.jpeg
093A8484-A77B-42F9-9B12-DFEAF0D28506.jpeg

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome! I can't tell for certain but it looks like a foreign object that is imbedded and is working its way out. Does she always hold her mouth open like that? Can she eat and drink?

Can you talk with your vet and obtain something like gabapentin to calm her so you can get her in?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

itsimplykc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey thanks for your reply. No she doesn’t hold her mouth open like that it’s just how I caught the picture. And yes she eats and drinks and acts normal and I never see her pawing it. I can talk to the vet about getting something anti anxiety to trap her. Or maybe I’ll just show them the pictures too and see what they think. Glad to have found this forum!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We're very glad you're here! If you can get photos that are uber clear (I know how hard that is, I can't get good closeup photos of my cat or my fish either lol) but that could help your vet :)

itsimplykc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We're very glad you're here! If you can get photos that are uber clear (I know how hard that is, I can't get good closeup photos of my cat or my fish either lol) but that could help your vet :)
Unfortunately she doesn’t allow us to get very close to her, but I’ll keep trying lol

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
From these pics my mind first went to an old access that maybe burst? Does that thing look like skin hanging off?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It could be a food allergy or even chin acne. Are you feeding her from a ceramic or stainless steel bowl and washing between feedings? It could also be a rodent ulcer or eosinophilic granuloma. I would definitely get to the vet for a check up and treatment.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
From the front view, it looks like something is sick there, from the side view it looks like a bite wound that has abscesses. There is allot of swelling.
I would trap her, and take her in. I wouldn’t use any sort of sedation if she is an outside cat that you are trapping because she needs her wits about her to survive outside.
I would trap her sooner than later.

itsimplykc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Its gone today! The scab is still there but the piece hanging off is gone.. I had someone else identify it as acne. It’s not swollen at all her mouth looks like that because it was a Live Photo that I grabbed these shots from and she was in motion about to lick herself. She doesn’t hold her mouth open.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Chin acne is usually under the chin, not the side of the mouth and it is basically just blackheads and pimples.
Glad she is doing better.

itsimplykc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I found this in another thread from this site and it’s exactly what Dice’s started like. Another friend said her cat had the same markings to my cats and it was acne. I thought the thing hanging might have been the inside of a blackhead because that’s what it looked like so hopefully it is. I’ll keep an eye on it if I notice it coming back or getting larger, red, or swelling I’ll definitely inquire with a vet.

Attachments

itsimplykc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
And in that thread it was also determined as cat acne.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I’ll keep an eye on it if I notice it coming back or getting larger, red, or swelling I’ll definitely inquire with a vet.
In the meanwhile, you could put a little chamomile tea on it. I'm not a vet, but the tea is anti bacterial, anti fungal and will help ease any discomfort she might be feeling.

I usually look for organic unflavored chamomile tea at a store (garden grown chamomile is unsafe for cats). Brew it, cool it and dab it on now and then, its safe if some gets in her mouth.

Also, if you're using plastic (and even metal) dishes or bowls, you'll want to consider switching to ceramic or glass. Wash them daily. Change her water daily as well and if you can, use filtered water.

Last edited: