Can you help me describe Archer's pattern & coloring? (DSH kitty)

archerbaby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know that my kitty, Archer, is a Domestic Short Hair.  What I don't know is how to describe his pattern.  To be honest, I'm confused by the mackeral (sp), ticked, spotted, etc, so I need a little help.  I'd like to make sure I have it listed correctly in his profile for his microchip in case he ever gets lost.  Of course, I hope this NEVER happens!

View media item 146346

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tabby and white - mackeral tabby and white I think.  Definitely not ticked tabby - google for photos of Abysinnian cats to see that 'pattern' - definitely not classic tabby which has a big whorl on the cat's side.  And like a lot of domestics, it's sort of mackeral breaking into spots breaking into stripes.

But if he ever gets lost, his microchip and good photos (like those you've posted) are what will get him back along with your own hard work. 

Sadly most vets and rescues / shelters know very little about coat colours and patterns, let alone about pedigree cats - cats of a specific breed.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

archerbaby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for responding, OrientalSlave.  I think my main confusion came from that he does have spots & stripes like you said:)  And thanks for the tips about if he ever gets lost.  The chances are, hopefully, pretty slim of it ever happening since he's an indoor only kitty & he's never tried to make a break for the door, and hopefully never will!
.  The Humane Society told us that they picked him up off of the street, so I think now he knows how good life can be as an indoor kitty he has no desire to go back "out there."  But I'll just make sure to take lots of pictures of him, so I always have a current one of him just in case.  (Yeah, like I wouldn't take those pictures anyway
).  Thanks again!