Can you ever trust a Vet?

2badkitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok I took my cats to the vets on Saturday because of them peeing on my towels and infront of the litter box. He told me they didnt feel like they had UTI's so he put them on Amoxi (whatever that is) and I was to give them 1 pill twice a day. He gave them one there and then we gave then another one that night. Well, Sunday morning I got up to take the dogs out nad there was what I think was blood on my carpet. I cleaned it all up and then when I got up again for good my sister in law said Ninnie ( my older cat) pooped right in the middle of the living room floor and then starting like drooling/foaming at the mouth. So I havent given them anymore pills. I am actually scared to. She seems fine today but how can I trust the vet? Do I take them back or just let them go and try to do stuff myself? We are tearing up the carpet around there litter box and putting tiles down tongiht. Hopefully that will help and also during the day I have that feliway plugged in right above there litter box. Hummm...some advice pleasel?

purity

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi

I think you need to take them back to the vet, especially if you've seen blood in their urine. The tablets may need to be adjusted to fix whatever the problem is - ignoring it won't make it go away and your cats health may suffer beyond help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

2badkitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We take our dogs to a different but they are 45 minutes away and I dont think my cats could servive a trip that long. The thing is I dont have moneyt o keep throwing away on different procedures. This last visit cost me 47.00 and I cant keep goign and spending that money. I dont knowwhy they cant just figure out what it is...

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its well worth the money to get them better though. just spent $125 at the vet with my dog for allergies, and sure, it was alot of money, but seeing him better.. who cares how much it was, his life is worth more than money.

Blood in their urine usually indicates UTI, but other things as well. I'd say get a second opinion at a different vet.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I would highly recommend taking them back to the vet. Especially with the blood in their urine.
Not all cats react the same way to medication. Most likely they'll want to see you that same day.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Amoxicillin is an antibiotic and often prescribed for UTIs. Sometimes it takes a day or two to kick in, but some cats need different meds. I would at least talk to t he vet on t he phone and get their advice, They shouldn't charge for that as it is their meds you are asking about.

lovemycodygirl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by 2BadKitties

We take our dogs to a different but they are 45 minutes away and I dont think my cats could servive a trip that long. The thing is I dont have moneyt o keep throwing away on different procedures. This last visit cost me 47.00 and I cant keep goign and spending that money. I dont knowwhy they cant just figure out what it is...
I would call your vet and talk to them on the phone first...he may be able to just call in a new or different medicine for them at your local pharmacist. Blood in urine is usually a symptom as a bad UTI infection. If he recomments that you bring them back in for examiniation, ask him about payment...he should not make you pay again since you were just there. If the medication isn't working, you may have to seperate them and find out if they definitely both have a UTI infection, a test is usually recommended and he will request a urine sample from both of them.

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Itdoes sound like a bladder infection for sure. But the foaming and drooling sounds like a allergic reaction to the antibiotic. I would call the vet and tell him whats going on before giving any more pills. My vet always gives me a liquid antibiotic? maybe the pill is hard going down for your cat and caused the foaming and drooling.
But call the vet for sure.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What I want to know is what do cats "feel" like when they have a UTI ... ? This condition is determined by testing urine in a laboratory - can't be "felt". So, then one would wonder why your vet determined that amoxi was the drug of choice (since no urine was collected/cultured) and why he would feel that a treatment of antibiotics was even indicated?

This, IMO, is blatant disregard for responsible diagnosis - find another vet.

~gf~

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

2badkitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well I took her back tonight and he took an x-ray of her. She has bladder stones and more then likely an infection. they kept her to do surgery tomorrow or the next day to get rid of them. Its gonna cost almost 200.00 and now my husband is mad that I did it. He said why not shoot her. I am so angry right now with him. I dont know why he would say that and hurt me like that. I am sad I had to leave her and I nkow she will be mad, did I do the right thing or is my husband right?

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"Can you ever trust a vet?" Hmmmmmmm. Well, since I don't have the knowledge, the experience, and the credentials to care for sick animals, I guess I have no choice. But that doesn't mean to continue trusting a vet who demonstrates by poor results that he/she hasn't earned and doesn't deserve your trust for repeat business.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm very sorry to hear your husbands reaction. Financial troubles or not, this cat is still a part of your family. If you had a human kid would he want to shoot it because it cost money to take them to the doctor? I'm not sure on the laws of where you live, but in some states they do recognise our fur-children and have laws against animal cruelty.
Cats, much like dogs and many other animals stay in your life a long, long time. I use to own guinea pigs before I got Luna. Some of my friend thought I was CRAZY when I took one in and wound up having her spayed (she had cysts on her ovaries...apparently very common with any female animal). I was in college with a part time/crap paying job and still spent the money.
Yes it unfortunate that there isn't a health care for pets like there is for humans. But there are pet discounts through most vets and really all in all, $200 for surgery and no insurance? I wouldn't mind that!!!

I think you did what you felt was right in your heart. You obviously love this cat very much and wanted to keep it in your life longer. I hope that someday your husband has this type of experience with a fur-child and softens a bit.

purr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by 2BadKitties

Well I took her back tonight and he took an x-ray of her. She has bladder stones and more then likely an infection. they kept her to do surgery tomorrow or the next day to get rid of them. Its gonna cost almost 200.00 and now my husband is mad that I did it. He said why not shoot her. I am so angry right now with him. I dont know why he would say that and hurt me like that. I am sad I had to leave her and I nkow she will be mad, did I do the right thing or is my husband right?
Have no doubt that you did the right thing! I'm sorry your kitty is troubled and I hope she gets well and back to her normal self soon!

jeanw

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Purr

Have no doubt that you did the right thing! I'm sorry your kitty is troubled and I hope she gets well and back to her normal self soon!
My thoughts exactly. I hope she's well soon.

tigerfanfrv

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
amoxi is an antibiotic, if the cat has blood in his urine thats a problem and you need to take him to the vet. a drooling/foaming cat could be stress or another serius problem. either way take the cat to the vet.

hiera

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat Max had bladder stones and a pee infection too (there was blood on his pee ) but we didnt need to operate him. Just put it into Antibiotics, pills to relax the bladder and into a special diet for 3 weeks. A very hard diet for them and after that we kept on a speciall urinary food for another couple of months and not it seems to be doing ok.

Is your cat licking his genitals constantly? If so it needs vet help inmediatly for he can have a bladder obstruction which could be fatal. But if you are not at that point yet..... take him to another vet and keep him in wet food ( and add lots of water to it).

It worked for my cat hope it works for yours too.

As per trusting vets..... defenatly NO. After she told us that a 58 grams kitten was too big to be born naturally I do not trust them anymore. I have contact my breeder and ask her to recomend me one she trusts when I try this new one I may feel a bit more confidente.

Good luck!!

G.

gilbertgrape

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Depends on the vet. My mom told her vet a few times she thought our cat was sick and he ignored her up until the point of no return. She had to have her put down by the time she got him to listen. And I knew a gal here who, when someone shot her cat, took it in to one of the vets and he did nothing other than shaved its belly ( I think to make it look like he did something) and gave her some steroids for it. I don't know much about medicine but what he did only prolonged the poor cats suffering. I would ask your local pet store, they sometimes can refer you to a good vet.

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why don't you offer to shoot your husband the next time he gets sick? It seems a reasonable response as any...