Can you actually "create" a breed???

telynn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sounds to me that other then the floppy ears (which a breed already has) she is trying to create a breed based on non-physical charatersists. Most breeds have some defining physical difference. No hair, no tail, ancestors of the Leopard cat, big furry mane, flat face, long face. And in my hypothetical new breed, more toes. I would think it would be very hard for a judge to rate a cat in a cat show based on how 'dog-like' it acts.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My trouble with her is she IS BYB ... she seems to be breeding moggie to moogie without any knowledge of what traits they do carry... My Zoey is ver very dog like she sits comes lays down stays all on command , I think it is great but no way would I just breed to get something other than a cat whose breed pure traits//

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

My trouble with her is she IS BYB ... she seems to be breeding moggie to moogie without any knowledge of what traits they do carry... My Zoey is ver very dog like she sits comes lays down stays all on command , I think it is great but no way would I just breed to get something other than a cat whose breed pure traits//
Heck, American Curls have been described as dog like..they fetch, they can be taught commands, and do their best to open doors
Alix is quite good at opening any door with a middle hinge!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And many cornish rex breeders (including me) describe the cats as "built like a greyhound (tuck up), coat like a poodle (curly) and dog-like in following you around.

I have NO idea where that breeder has been, but there are tons of cats out there that have dog-like traits. Who is she kidding?