Can we "start over" with training our cats when we move?

riccadawn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We are very likely moving to a new (bigger) place within the next couple months. I'm not so worried about the actual moving process as we've had good luck with Feliway in the past. What I'm interested in is somewhat re-training our cats when we move. Currently the cats have free reign of our small apartment. They use this as an excuse to climb on our faces and wake us up in the morning. We can't lock them out because they just tear up the carpet outside our bedroom door. Now that we're moving, it seems like a good time to maybe start over and set some new ground rules with the cats. I'm just looking for suggestions and ideas. If we decide to not allow them in the bedroom at all, will they be okay with that since they've never been in the room in the first place? This house also has hard wood floors so they wouldn't be able to tear up the carpet outside the door, although I guess they could still scratch at the door/floor. Or has anyone else had any success locking the cats in a certain room overnight? This house has a large sun room that I think the cats will love, could they stay there at night? Do you think they would adapt easily to that after having previously had free reign of the house all night? Moving is just a one time thing for us, so I want to take this chance to fix the sleeping issue if that's possible.

cat dad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We've never let our boys in our bedroom and they have no problem with it. Even if we leave the door open they go in and look around and get bored. Good thing is we can sleep in if we want and have no face sitting.

Personally Id try to just keep them out of the room. They might want in at first but the new surroundings might make the difference. You might have some fussing but if you stand strong, I bet you can change them eventually.

I wouldn't lock them into one room, I'd just lock them out of your bedroom.