Feedback Can We Get The Old Site Back?

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes if anyone figures out how to change the bright white background please let us know. It is just annoying at the beginning but after awhile it does start to bother my eyes.

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ Hummm ... I see a lot of users do not like white background . Not sure but I think the site operators /owners can change that . One color that most find pleasant is pale green . Light beige is nice too. The worst background I see are multi-color .
Other than that seems the site is very nice. Have fun !
( just have to figure out how everything works )

Gizmobius

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well I like the new look. It's an updated style and a bit more modern when it comes to forums. I don't mind the white background either, but then I've never been averse to change so maybe that plays a part. :lol: Anywho, some sites and forums have color scheme options where the user can choose between a few different layouts and colors. Maybe that would be something to implement in the future for the ones who are bothered by the white?

As for me, the site gets a thumbs up!

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
@donutt is having the same problem I did yesterday.
I'm fixed!

Not a fan of the white background either (I'm the girl that is always dimming her monitor and used to type papers on a blue background). That is my only beef. I'm actually testing a new browser at work, and yeah, we're all complaining about how different things are (I work in QA so it's not even rolled out yet, I'm just testing it). But, there are some things that are better. I think we'll all see that eventually that there are some things that are better. And the ones that aren't? We'll get used to it.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Anywho, some sites and forums have color scheme options where the user can choose between a few different layouts and colors. Maybe that would be something to implement in the future for the ones who are bothered by the white?!
Ditto! Another forum I belong to has a color option which is much easier on the eyes.

I do appreciate all the effort that's gone into the new site and most importantly, I come to TCS for information, help and advice about cats. Of course, the conversations with many of the wonderful members is a plus too. :)

SJSupport

I am that tech you're looking for
Young Cat
Purraise
This isn't a fix or even specific to this site, just a suggestion from me as another person who has difficulty staring at a bright white screen for extended periods. I use a free program that's been around for awhile called f.lux that allows you to adjust the color temperature of your display. It has an option to gradually change it throughout the day based on your geographic location as well, for those of you who are interested in limiting blue light exposure at night since it can contribute to insomnia. It's a neat little program and it doesn't hog memory or nag you to buy anything.

I've been using it for several years and it's really helpful for me in general. Takes a few minutes to get used to (everything looks super beige at first) but the intensity is adjustable and you get used to it pretty quick at lighter settings. There are mobile versions and it works on both Mac and Windows. Give it a shot! It might be helpful in general.

Attachments

Last edited:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This isn't a fix or even specific to this site, just a suggestion from me as another person who has difficulty staring at a bright white screen for extended periods. I use a free program that's been around for awhile called f.lux that allows you to adjust the color temperature of your display. It has an option to gradually change it throughout the day based on your geographic location as well, for those of you who are interested in limiting blue light exposure at night since it can contribute to insomnia. It's a neat little program and it doesn't hog memory or nag you to buy anything.

I've been using it for several years and it's really helpful for me in general. Takes a few minuted to get used to (everything looks super beige at first) but the intensity is adjustable and you get used to it pretty quick at lighter settings. There are mobile versions and it works on both Mac and Windows. Give it a shot! It might be helpful in general.
Thank you. That definitely toned down the bright white. The way it loaded helped. I went in and turned it down a bit more and that definitely helps.

SJSupport

I am that tech you're looking for
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm glad to hear that. It's been a lifesaver for me for a pretty long time!

D

Deleted member 115554

If you are using Windows 10, this is a built-in feature. It is called "Night Light."

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are using Windows 10, this is a built-in feature. It is called "Night Light."
@CvP - not much help for most, however. Just noticed that your username isn't all lower case, which means that at some point, members should be able to get their proper (not all lower case) usernames back, yes?

D

Deleted member 115554

@CvP - not much help for most, however. Just noticed that your username isn't all lower case, which means that at some point, members should be able to get their proper (not all lower case) usernames back, yes?
My username is like this because I have set it like this.

It was a choice between having capitalized usernames or being able to login using your passwords (i.e., no password reset needed). I'm sure lower-case username is more preferable than everyone else doing a password reset.

I will work on a solution where you can change your capitalization yourself. However, it is a bit low priority right now. Have been overworking myself for past week. Need a break. I promise I will get this done within next 7 days :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I've been using it for several years and it's really helpful for me in general. Takes a few minutes to get used to (everything looks super beige at first) but the intensity is adjustable and you get used to it pretty quick at lighter settings. There are mobile versions and it works on both Mac and Windows. Give it a shot! It might be helpful in general.
Thanks for the tip :thumbsup: Not sure if it's working for me or not yet, but then my eyes do get really hypersensitive at times :sigh:

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My username is like this because I have set it like this.

It was a choice between having capitalized usernames or being able to login using your passwords (i.e., no password reset needed). I'm sure lower-case username is more preferable than everyone else doing a password reset.

I will work on a solution where you can change your capitalization yourself. However, it is a bit low priority right now. Have been overworking myself for past week. Need a break. I promise I will get this done within next 7 days :)
I expected that you might not be on a break all day long - that was the reason for saying, "at some point."

;)

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise

Ooooh is this just for phones, or also desktop?? This sounds wonderful!

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've got it on my desktop, and its working great (though it took a little getting used to at first ;) ). Like you, I have my monitor on the lowest light level possible, and the same with my phone most of the time. It's really quick to download and install too :D

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise

I've got it on my desktop, and its working great (though it took a little getting used to at first ;) ). Like you, I have my monitor on the lowest light level possible, and the same with my phone most of the time. It's really quick to download and install too :D
Does it affect the exposure of photos? I mean, if it's toned down and color temperature is adjusted and monitor set to lowest light level, a good exposed photo will look not so well exposed and a not so good exposed photo will look bad and probably you can't see much details.

Think it's ok for text, but for photos?:think: