Can the experts explain:)

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Breeders have told me over and over again Veeshan is pet quality. There seems to be much disagreement between breeders about Kingston. But 2 breeders (pm me if want names) who I feel are more knowledgeable about the breed feel Veeshan is better quality but still pet. Only 2 breeders feel he is show quality and 1 of them is his own breeder.

I understand why Veeshan is pet quality. She is close to granding but do you have any idea how many shows she has been to? She has been to 13 shows as a Premier. This is not show quality. I good show quality cat should grand within 4 shows I have been told. I would quit showing her but I just can't. She is my first Somali and I have worked very hard to get the points she has. Any show now she could Grand.

I also wonder sometimes if maybe I just live in the area where the majority of the top Somali breeders are. And their standards are a lot higher than lets say the west coast. But I can't afford to fly to shows to see if this is true. But still 13 shows is a little ridiculous don't you think?

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Let me tell you the story of my Stevie, my first Aby....

Show quality? Very much so.
How many shows to grand? Hmmmm lemme see - took him 3 shows to just Champion (in the first show, his breeders were the judges which killed 2/5 rings and Reecie pipped him for BOB in the third) and then, took him another what 4 shows to Grand. I had despaired. Took him a total of some 16 rings to Grand. Total of nearly 2.5 years to do so... and mind you, this is a Long Hair country!

Worth the effort and heartache? Most definitely!

Why? Like you, he is the first male Aby I ever had. He has since produced a Grand Champion and a soon, I hope Grand Premier and another Grand Premier to follow suit.

I like Veeshan. I like her very much. She is definitely show worthy IMO.

You are in a difficult breed with small Premiership classes. I have noticed that breeds with small breed classes DO take more time to grand unless the cat is outstanding (and I mean a 93%) cat. Added to the fact that she is female, the odds are not in her favor.

Persevere - granding will come soon!

ETA - I just had a peek at the EPoints for Somalis in CFA. It appears to me that breeders and Judges are having different ideas as to what a Somali in this day and age should actually look like! The discrepancy between Highest scoring Somali in Championship and #10 is huge! In fact, I know the cat that is #9 on the Championship list and honestly, as a kitten, my Bulan defeated that cat in 7 out of 9 rings..... makes you wonder hmmmmm?

PM me if you want to see the list!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok see your point. Charlie's been in 3 adult shows (CFA). First one doesn't count as he was open. He's up to 25 points in the 2 counted shows. He's not "top" show, but he is show. He'll grand in ACFA first cause there are more shows and he's very close to what he needs.

I only have a very few shows in CFA to take him to without traveling long distance. So his CFA shows are limited. It depends on who is showing in your area and how many premiers are present. Ideally, I'd like to see about 5 premiers competing and take 4-6 rings of best premier to get points in almost every ring. Right now its double that amount, so its harder to get those finals.

I'd have to see Vee in person to evaluate her. And I would not give up - she will grand

I surprised my rex breeder with a grand. She sold me the cat more as a breeder then a show and she was surprised that the cat granded as quick as she did. She didn't expect that (had kept my cat's sister who also granded but was better). So you never know.