Can someone help with breed possibly?

Krisander0011

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I adopted a 1 year old female kitten a few weeks ago and I thought she looked so unique. I was told she has some maine coon but that's all the previous owner knew. She is black with long hair and white/grey on the tips of most of her hair. Any help would be wonderful, thank you. 😊

Attachments

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Your cat is a lovely black beauty. :bigeyes: However, I would describe her as a domestic medium to longhaired cat. sivyaleah sivyaleah has a gorgeous Maine Coon and hopefully can chime in with her advice.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I dont have any clear opinion. And Im a little stuck about these white ends... But whitish hairs on longhair black cats arent unusal, although they usually sit on the mane... Sometimes even giving an impression of a point of sorts...

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't have much to add. I agree with neely neely in terms of DMH. I noticed the tail though - kind of mottled? Are there some other colors in the tail? Very unique one you have!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Krisander0011

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't have much to add. I agree with neely neely in terms of DMH. I noticed the tail though - kind of mottled? Are there some other colors in the tail? Very unique one you have!
She's interesting, her coat reminds me a bit of an Australian Shepard dog with the white tips. 🤔

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Chiming in!

She's a domestic solid black long hair cat.(I wrote short by error originally)

She has no features of a Maine Coon. Her ears are too short and not angled properly on her head. Her muzzle is wide and narrow as opposed to that of an MC which is boxy and pronounced. Her coat is pretty much one length all around - Maine Coons have a shorter top coat and longer fur around the belly/britches. Most have "lynx tips" which is different than the fur just being long on ears. Your cats eyes are round whereas the MC is slightly elongated. Their tales are plumed and very puffy whereas yours looks like a normal narrower tail with longer fur on it and also, are as long as their body is. Last her body shape isn't that of a Maine Coon either which are rectangular, very long and tall.

Her coloring may be due to just being still young and eventually will turn solid black as she matures though it is unusual right now. It's not black smoke either, that would be where the whiter color is at the roots of the fur. Could be a fever coat too which will eventually molt out.

Here is my girl for comparison. I think once people see them side by side it becomes very apparent what the differences are. Those who say a cat "must have Maine Coon" in it are usually people who aren't well versed in pedigree cats and unfortunately the internet isn't much help because it shows so many non-MC's when you try to search for one.

Batgirl.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Krisander0011

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow
Chiming in!

She has no features of a Maine Coon. Her ears are too short and not angled properly on her head. Her muzzle is wide and narrow as opposed to that of an MC which is boxy and pronounced. Her coat is pretty much one length all around - Maine Coons have a shorter top coat and longer fur around the belly/britches. Most have "lynx tips" which is different than the fur just being long on ears. Your cats eyes are round whereas the MC is slightly elongated. Their tales are plumed and very puffy whereas yours looks like a normal narrower tail with longer fur on it and also, are as long as their body is. Last her body shape isn't that of a Maine Coon either which are rectangular, very long and tall.

Her coloring may be due to just being still young and eventually will turn solid black as she matures though it is unusual right now. It's not black smoke either, that would be where the whiter color is at the roots of the fur. Could be a fever coat too which will eventually molt out.

Here is my girl for comparison. I think once people see them side by side it becomes very apparent what the differences are. Those who say a cat "must have Maine Coon" in it are usually people who aren't well versed in pedigree cats and unfortunately the internet isn't much help because it shows so many non-MC's when you try to search for one.

View attachment 464360
Chiming in!

View attachment 464360
Wow thank you, that was so informative. I'm glad to know what's going on with her. She is a beautiful cat so I was curious. You're cat is also gorgeous 😍

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow

Wow thank you, that was so informative. I'm glad to know what's going on with her. She is a beautiful cat so I was curious. You're cat is also gorgeous 😍
She surely is unique with that coat color. Will be interesting to see how she looks a year from now!

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So I adopted a 1 year old female kitten a few weeks ago and I thought she looked so unique. I was told she has some maine coon but that's all the previous owner knew. She is black with long hair and white/grey on the tips of most of her hair. Any help would be wonderful, thank you. 😊

maybe a fever coat that is growing out? i don't know about 1 year old. she looks younger than that to me. just looking at her photo i'd guess between 5 and 9 months old. but would bet on the median of 6 or 7 months. pretty baby tho