Can someone help me with these symptoms?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am SOOOOOO glad you went and visited with him and that he responded well to your visit!!!  That's so encouraging! 

The toxins in his body from the lack of filtering efficiently through his kidneys probably affected his nervous system.  Sometimes, kitties will tremor, too because of poor kidney function.  As the toxins are flushed out with the fluids they are giving him, his nervous system should recover.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't donate much, but I sent what I could... I hope it helps you, and that he gets better real soon... Hopefully he will come home in no time!
You should also open a chipIn- it is easier to donate via PayPal, and to share too... I would look into that... Don't forget to Facebook and email that to everyone in your list!
Good luck :hugs:

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
From the Mod Team Regarding Pleas for money:

Cats are a huge responsibility. Anyone who thinks otherwise, should not have one in their life. They are dependent on us for everything from providing a place to eat, to also providing vet care.

Anyone who has cats knows that they can and do get ill. Your best defense is to plan for that to happen before it does, and store monies away in preparation.

If you read about a plight of an animal on the internet and your heart is drawn to help. Check out the story thoroughly. Google the vet's name or call Directory Assistance in the city and be sure this is a legitimate claim.

Do not blindly send money into a paypal account no matter how heart-wrenching the story. Instead reach out to the member and ask for the vet's name and phone number, and arrange to send the money there for the specific needs of the cat in question.

If that information cannot be provided- you have your answer. Report the post to a moderator so that it can be removed for not being on the level.

alexisanb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just to let everyone know, Merlin's internet got shut off. Merlin (the cat) should be going home tomorrow. They are taking him off iv fluids and such tonight to see how he does. Hopefully everything goes well!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Alexis, I hope you're able to help her through his after care. He's been very well flushed, but if his diet isn't changed, I'm sure you know it's very likely he'll block again.

Continued vibes for Merlin. :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

merlin92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Merlin has been home since Friday. I am able to come to the library to get on the internet. he is on CD diet. It's dry but it is meant for his bladder. He is doing really well on it. Merlin is still on medication for another 4 days but he takes the pill with no struggle. He is back to his old self and I am very thankful for the help. Whatever has been donated to the wish thing I will use toward saving for his vet bill or to his food. It will not be used for anything else! But, there is no need to go for the fund now. My husband got a job and we will save for Merlin and the rest our animals care. Just giving you all an update.

merlin92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am not sure how to access your donation. This site confuses me. (Referring to the wish thing). Thank you for donating though!

merlin92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm lost. Did it go to Merlin's vet? Just let me know. It will go to the remaining balance of his vet bill or whatever. I'm lost lol. I'll be the library tomorrow. Thanks for all the help!

merlin92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Nevermind. I get what they do with it now. Bleh. Such confusing stuff.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Very happy to hear he is getting well!

My personal opinion of the CD dry he is on is bad, but if you can at least give him a can of wet food daily too, even the cheapie ones like Friskies, this will help.

trabel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Bitty has been on CD since his first episode with crystals and has two more while on it.  You might want to think about adding in some wet food as well.  Just a thought.  We are in the process of taking both our cats off the prescription diet and putting them on an all natural food that is made right here in Alberta.  It contains no grains!  It is also made with cranberries which apparently does the same for kitties bladders as it does for people bladders - a definite plus!  Hope Merlin continues to do well.  

Merlin has been home since Friday. I am able to come to the library to get on the internet. he is on CD diet. It's dry but it is meant for his bladder. He is doing really well on it. Merlin is still on medication for another 4 days but he takes the pill with no struggle. He is back to his old self and I am very thankful for the help. Whatever has been donated to the wish thing I will use toward saving for his vet bill or to his food. It will not be used for anything else! But, there is no need to go for the fund now. My husband got a job and we will save for Merlin and the rest our animals care. Just giving you all an update.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So glad Merlin is doing better, AND that your hubby got a job!  Good news all around

merlin92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, I am glad we are getting out this rut finally. I am going to start buying the CD wet diet eventually it's just that the cans are more expensive. I am hoping he will do well on the cd diet but time will tell I guess. I never want to see him like that again. He is still on his med for another 3 days.

merlin92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm not understanding why so many people are looking down on the CD Diet.

sugarcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Because these are the main ingredients:
  • Brewers Rice, Corn Gluten Meal, Chicken By-Product Meal, Pork Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Chicken Liver Flavor,
Not something an obligate carnivore should eat with any regularity. A meat-based, grain-free wet food would be a much better choice.

nerdrock

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's because of the ingredients in it, lots of fillers and nothing really good. 

I'm not sure if the crystal diets are the same for cats as they are for dogs, but my vet told me the reason that they wanted to put Sadie on the urinary diet was because it contains more salt, which makes them thirstier so they will drink more and therefore pee more, helping to flush their system. 

Here is the ingredient list for the CD diet:

Brewers Rice, Corn Gluten Meal, Chicken By-Product Meal, Pork Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Chicken Liver Flavor, Fish Oil, Lactic Acid, Potassium Chloride, Calcium Sulfate, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Iodized Salt, Potassium Citrate, DL-Methionine, vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Taurine, minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid, Phosphoric Acid, Rosemary Extract, Beta-Carotene.

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]If you can get him on a good quality wet diet it should help much more than the CD diet. You can also buy cranberry capsules from a health food store, break them open and mix it in with his food to help with the urinary issues. [/font]

finnlacey

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
AMEN. the most important thing besides a good grain free diet is that it's a WET food. That will do more good than anything and things like corn gluten, brewer's rice, etc. are pure sugar which will just overwork the pancreas and force the kidneys to overwork as well.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, I need to interject here......
I am ALL for a raw diet and for a grain free meat based diet - HOWEVER - this kitty was just in the hospital with a blockage, with little to none chances of surviving - less than 5%.
Even Dr. Pierson, known to look down on Hills and a big proponent of the Raw diet, recommends on such cases to keep the kitty on CD for a few months and only then SLOWLY switching to a species appropriate diet.
These are the only cases that she recommends Hills - and the only prescription diet she recommends instead of Raw/ Canned Grain Free canned.

Let's no forget the seriousness of this situation. A few days ago this kitty had less than 5% of surviving.....

To the OP: Please be VERY careful in switching this diet now - please work with your vet - your kitty's situation is very critical.... IMHO it is not the time to make such changes.... In the future, yes,but for now, I would go with what the vet says. Your cat has a large kidney stone (at least had at the time it went to the hospital).... I would be extremely careful with him.....
I would advise though, to get C/D wet if at all possible, and mix water in it too - the more water he gets the better :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

nerdrock

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My apologies, I forgot to mention that he should be kept on the current diet for a little while until he recovers more. He doesn't need drastic changes right now, but it is something to consider in the near future.