Can s boulardii be confused for a parasite?

katemary

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just took my 14 week old new kitten to the vet as he's had diarrhea for a week.
The vet looked at his poo under a microscope and said he could see something "mobile" i.e a possibly parasite. He did a giardia test right away and it was negative but as the kitten is doing well he didn't want to send way a more comprehensive test and gave me panacur x 3 days.
I did mention that I'd been giving the kitten probiotics including s boulardii (which he didn't know about) but it didn't occur to me until now that possibly he confused the s boulardii for parasites? Googling has suggested that yeasts can be detected in stool samples but I'm not sure it would be "mobile"?
So does anyone know if s boulardii could be confused for parasites in a stool sample?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Did your vet say 'mobile' or 'motile'? The latter is a term often used when referring to protozoans/parasites. Never heard either word used when referring to yeast - of any kind.

I also agree with the above comment - that there are defining characteristics that would differentiate between yeast-based or parasitic microorganisms.

You could always call the vet and ask why they used that term just for your own clarification.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

katemary

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You know what, maybe he did say motile. I think I'm just overthinking things! Hopefully the panacur clears things up, otherwise I'll send off a more comprehensive poop test to find out what's going on.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just so you know, it's very common to have to deworm kittens (& new cats) more than once or twice to completely eradicate the parasites from the body due to the growth cycle.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katemary

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, he was dewormed at some point by the shelter, I gave him a pill a week ago when the diarhhea started and he's now on the panacur so hopefully this clears everything up. He's only done a couple of poops today and one was pretty good so that's a good sign. His third eyelids are quite obvious though. He had a little eye infection which was treated with an ointment, I'm not convinced it's cleared up as there's been some discharge since I finished the treatment but the vet didn't think his eyes looked bad enough to warrant antibiotics. Hard to know if the third eyelid is from the eye infection or the possible parasites!
This poor guy has a lot going on, plus my resident cat is still pretty mean to hi
20231218_161835.jpg
m through the door, but he's a total sweetheart.