Can psyllium cause vomiting?

ankitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I fed Rad Cat chicken to my cats this morning and one of them just vomited liquid and small hairball right before evening meal. He did that when I tried Rad Cat before, and also with Vet's best hairball. I'm wondering if it's caused by psyllium in Rad Cat and Vet's best. Does anyone have a cat who is sensitive to psyllium? He's otherwise doing fine with Instinct Raw and Primal Raw and these don't have psyllium.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well the hairball didn't form in one morning/afternoon. I don't think. I doubt the psyllium is causing it, but you never know. Perhaps it slows down transit time? :dk:

I do know that it's quite common for cats to toss hairballs during a raw transition. I'm seeing this more and more, and sometimes it's bad - actually scary. Perhaps the difference is that Instinct and Primal raw foods are HPP. They claim the enzymes aren't killed, but ... ??? :dk: Maybe your kitty just needs a slower transition to non-HPP raw.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ankitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I started small amount of Rad Cat a day before and when I gave him a sample, it was only 0.5 oz, and he vomited the next day. He's also on Cerenia, which is supposed to stop nausea and vomiting. I was wondering about enzymes too, but he's fine with Prozyme. My husband says psyllium can be harsh on stomach, so I wonder if anyone has had problem with it. 

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh psyllium can be harsh, no doubt. I've just not heard of it causing vomiting before, but that doesn't mean it isn't the culprit. Rad Cat is used successfully by so many IBD kitties: but that doesn't mean something about it doesn't agree with your kitty!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

ankitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh psyllium can be harsh, no doubt. I've just not heard of it causing vomiting before, but that doesn't mean it isn't the culprit. Rad Cat is used successfully by so many IBD kitties: but that doesn't mean something about it doesn't agree with your kitty!
Yeah, I really hoped Rad Cat would work, because it looks like very good food. I don't particularly like the smell of Instinct or Primal raw. My cat probably has IBD with vomiting, so something may be irritating his bowels. I looked it up and psyllium does cause vomiting in people. 

msfish

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
ha, I was just googling the same thing...I have been adding about 1/16 of a tsp to my cats food (vet suggestion) and after a month or so she developed the occasional raspy cough, burping, and vomiting...eventually she just refused to eat the food altogether, which led me to believe its what was making her sick. I thought we were good but still the occasional vomit, checked her dry food and its also an ingredient there so im rather convinced now that its the culprit. she has a pretty sensitive system, and I do also and know it doesn't agree with me at all either. she has never vomited hairballs, and I brush her daily, though she does have a nice thick coat as the vet said. I don't see an excess of hair in her poop either. hope you have had some luck!