Can our cat make do with just one litter box?

kalikat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've only got one cat, & one litter box. But only have a small one story house. Never been a problem. I think if I had a 2 story house I'd have one on each level.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Traveler5

You may want to try and consolidate into one box.

Knock on wood, no accidents today.
Well, That is how she started... until the day I lit a cigarette in the house, she rebelled
and started peeing on my area rug. What helped the most was to add another litter box... I don't mind... I rather give her the two boxes than having her peeing on my area rug. That's what works for her, so it is what works for me too!

the_food_lady

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

Well, That is how she started... until the day I lit a cigarette in the house, she rebelled
and started peeing on my area rug. What helped the most was to add another litter box... I don't mind... I rather give her the two boxes than having her peeing on my area rug. That's what works for her, so it is what works for me too!
Oh those darn anti-smoking cats, I tell you LOL

One of my cats used to detest my ashtray. He would jump up onto the coffee table and make that "burying motion" with his paw, right in front of the ashtray....as if he were burying something in his litterbox. What a goofball.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by the_food_lady

Oh those darn anti-smoking cats, I tell you LOL

One of my cats used to detest my ashtray. He would jump up onto the coffee table and make that "burying motion" with his paw, right in front of the ashtray....as if he were burying something in his litterbox. What a goofball.
I know!!!! She peed right under the coffee table, exactly underneath the ashtray.... very casually, looking at me as though she was saying "Is this war? oh yeah? here is something for you to smell!" Little brat!
no smoking for me after this lesson!

althekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have one kitty and he has two boxes, one in the bathroom and one in the utility room. My kitty uses both his boxes and although we never had problems when he had one box, I felt that it was good to have options!!! We use a good litter, I can't remember the name but we use that one bag in a month and it costs about £8. It is clumping which I think goes a bit further and lasts ages. I haven't used anymore litter in terms of having to buy more so I am not worried about the cost. I also clean out both litter boxes every week. I don't fill the litterbox up with litter as he just kicks it all over the side
But there is a good 3 inch layer of litter. Two boxes for one cat is just an option, whatever works for you and your kitty i guess!!! Good luck

mer636

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
at our house we dump our litter every 2 weeks and replace with new stuff :|

hwc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Traveler5

Right now, when we change out the litter boxes each week or so, we're throwing out two boxes of litter and refilling them. I want to decrease that to just the one larger box. I feel it will accommodate him just fine -- I hope.
Odds are that one box for one kitty will be fine.

However, two boxes really shouldn't cost any more. If you change one box every three weeks, you should be able to go six weeks between changes with two boxes -- although you might be changing one every 4 weeks and one every 8 weeks depending on usage.

If you scoop every day, you are going to be changing the litter constantly. I use the large size Omega Paws boxes starting with about 25 pounds of clumping litter in each. The box that gets the heavy usage can go a month. The box that gets the light usage can go two months. If I swap the two halfway thru, I can change them both every six weeks.