Can Not Keep Cat In

mindy10

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,  I have  had a cat now for 4 years.  She has always been a outdoor cat but now she stays out forever!!  Sometimes she is gone for 24 hours.  I think it is taking a toll on her health because she is so skinny now.  She comes home to eat and then runs right back out.  I'm trying to keep her in for a few weeks to get her to gain some weight back but she screams at the doors and windows.  She is a female and is fixed.  I got her at 2 so she might of been a feral Im not sure.  They didn't tell us much at the human society about her.  Any suggestions.  Also any suggestions on how to put weight on her.  I give her wellness and it has 32% crude fat in it.  Thanks Mindy

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Since she has been going out for 4 years, it is going to be hard to keep her in.  Is there any way you can build a cat enclosure? One that would let her be outside during the day and inside at night?

She probably needs to be wormed thoroughly. That would help putting weight on.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, treat for worms and fleas, and get her a thorough vet check. Whatever's going on outside is probably not good for her. She may be catching and re-catching fleas, and from the fleas, worms, and simply be staying sick that way. She could be catching something from local stray cats. She could be exposed to a pesticide a neighbor is using on their grass--she walks through the grass, licks her paws, and it makes her nauseated, so she can't eat as much as she needs.

Keep her inside 24/7 and ignore her attempts to get outside. Simultaneously, give her lots of interesting things to do inside: Toys, games, puzzles, interacting with you. A nice, broad window perch with a bird feeder outside can be very interesting to many cats. If she likes other cats, she might also like a companion, but don't adopt another cat unless you are absolutely sure she is healthy.

Last edited: