Can my cat munch on grass that was once treated with fertilizer?

kittykat007

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!! I’m so confused, everyone online wants to tell me how normal it is for cats to eat grass and yes presticides are bad so dont eat that but also grass once treated is safe walk on after it dries. None of those are helpful.

I'm in a temporary living siutation sayinf in a sort of studio sized pool house with views to the outside. My indoor cat (mainecoon-ish) lovessss to go outside but my last place was a NYC rooftop so I never had to worry about pesticides, fertilizer, etc. He asbolutely lovessss to munch on grass and will spend all his time doing that unless I shorten his leash so he cant, then he calms down. I just moved and plan to soon grow some cat grass outdoors in hopes I can try to defleft him eating the yard's grass but I know he will eat some somehow if I take him outside. He keeps meowing to go outside and I feel so bad, its so small and lonely in this little cottage but i'm so worried he will get sick from the grass. My friends say that the grass was fertilized about 6 months ago and mosquitio treatment a year ago. My mom keeps telling me with all summer rainstorms its all washed away but I cant stop worrying.

Anyone have any thoughts or insights on this???

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittykat007

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay, helpful to hear! That is my take too but I didn't know if I was being a worry wart.

Def less a matter of buying him his own grass; more so whether I can let him outside bc he will munch on the previously treated grass. That's just who he is, he loves all grass. (pro tip buy wheatgrass vs from pet store - incredibly cheaper and same thing)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We grew our own cat grass for years, but Captain doesn't like it (!) I got lucky, if that's the word, and we have a native grass that's growing amongst the flowers I have for the pollinators, which don't have any fertilizer since they're native as well and hardier, and he likes that lol

You boy needs his outside time. Can you get one of these? I know you said you can shorten his leash up, but still...

https://www.chewy.com/furhaven-soft-sided-dog-cat-playpen/dp/225335

Last edited: