Can my cat get hurt biting the lights of a christmas tree?

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I'd rather not get one at all. But unfortunately im staying with family members, and my sister in law insisted on a tree with lights. And now my cat is biting at the lights! I am so scared she will electrocute herself. She has never been the type to bite at wiring or cables. But i think shes excited by the lights, and because the cord is the same color as the tree. Is she in danger?

Please advice as im very nervous! My cat usually sleeps loose in the house because of my allergies. Now i am scared to go to sleep.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Xmas tree lights in the UK usually run off a transformer at 12v so electricution is not an issue.  We also always turned them off when not in the room with the tree as they use electricity we have to pay for.

However if she crushes one of the bulbs the splinters certainly could be a hazard.  Can the door to the tree room be shut?  is there some other way of confining her safely away from it?

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is there a way to not allow the cat in the room with the tree. I would not want to take any chances.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well, the tree is in the living room, and my cat usually sleeps by the kitchen on her cat tree. there is no door blocking the living room and the kitchen. luckily i got my sis in law to shut it off at night. so now i just need to watch her until she shuts it off.

i was about to let my cat sleep in my room and drag her litterbox in to my room. she doesnt sleep with me because i found out after i first adopted her, that im allergic to her. i noticed because she slept for a week in my room when i first adopted her. my allergies still havent improved.

whammytap

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A light misting of a product like Fooey or Bitter Apple across the tree and lights should suffice to get her to stop chewing.  Just make sure you wash your hands after application and after handling the tree.  I made the mistake of eating finger food after having sprayed Fooey--yuck!  The stuff really does taste bad!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A light misting of a product like Fooey or Bitter Apple across the tree and lights should suffice to get her to stop chewing.  Just make sure you wash your hands after application and after handling the tree.  I made the mistake of eating finger food after having sprayed Fooey--yuck!  The stuff really does taste bad!

ill try that, thanks! its been a few days and shes still biting the bulbs so ill try and buy the bitter apple.

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah, the good ol' seasonal issue of cats biting, knocking over, and generally messing with Christmas trees. Nothing puts one in the holiday mindset better.

catwithmycoffee

Six Cats Crazy Cat Parents
Young Cat
Purraise
Risk of possilbe electric shock, or swallowing of material if your cat happens to break one of the bulbs.

If your sister in law doesn't object, you could try oranges.  Cut them in half and either place beneath or hang from the branches of the tree.  Most cats don't like the smell of citrus.