Can my cat adjust or learn?

pixiecat98

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I currently own a 5 year old calico cat named Pixie. I got her when she was less than a year old at an adoption thing that was going on at Petco by a group called Hope. Before adopting her I had purchased a cat encyclopedia so that I would learn enough to not just be a complete newcomer to owning a cat. As a child, I had only had 2 cats growing up, then my younger brother got cancer after they passed away so I was unable to get any new cats. I was wondering if Pixie would still be able to adjust to taking a bath as a cat, or should I have taken my only chance when she was little? I wasn't able to purchase the necessary things at the time, but now I can, so I was thinking should I, or would it be a general waste of money?

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Why do you want to bath her ?

Unless she got something in her fur that she cannot clean herself or you can not wipe off. Most cats never require a bath :D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pixiecat98

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, her 2 siblings, both male, have large amounts of dandruff, and also one of them has matts which I have had to continually brush out or trim off, so I am sometimes worried that she will get one or the other, it's happened before...

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi @Pixiecat98  , will this be your first bath for your cat?

Bath's can be very stressing for kitties. Maybe try using a water less shampoo and conditioner spray? that might help with the dandruff and matts? or try cleaning pet wipes?

If a bath is absolutely necessary, and you're not sure how kitty will react, you can try using some calming treats on kitty before her bath. They have them at petco and petsmart (just ask an associate) or order online. 

Give kitty the treat in the morning, and make sure kitty has not eaten at least 4-5 hours prior to bath time...because some kitties get stressed and throw up after the bath. It happens to my Charlie :/

I don't bathe my cats (i have 2) often, only if one of them gets into the garbage, or has diarrhea and poo all over itself, and pet wipes are just not cutting it.