Can my apartment manager ban legal feral feeding on the complex ?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I'm sorry things deteriorated to the point he was so desperate a trap wasn't needed, but it's great to hear he's inside and safe. We SO understand being stretched... but when push comes to shove, it's just too hard to do nothing.

for kitty. Hope you'll be able to quickly find him the right, wonderful home so you don't have to worry about your budget or the kitty limit (right?) in the bldg.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

elayman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KTLynn

elayman, I'm very relieved that this hungry little guy is being cared for now!!! I'm a bit confused about the circumstances of his rescue. Was he actually taken in by a neighbor who then gave the cat to you?

Thank God this kitty is finally getting the care he needs. And outside with all paws declawed...he never would have lasted.

You'd mentioned in an earlier post that you'd been caring for the outside cats for years. Had you provided shelters for them as well as food?

I'm wondering what you thought about my suggestion to feed the cats in the woods at night. They're likely still around and would quickly learn to wait for you at night in the wooded area.

Please let us know how your little rescue is doing - it's got to be paradise for him to have a safe place, food and TLC.
Well, he has been to the vet, gotten the first of a two-series distemper shot, and basically an overall complete clean bill of health. I'm just so thankful that this little guy appeared in relatively good shape before beginning the feedings two years ago and has remained that way in spite of everything. Adapting by taking on a defensive "wild" personality to meet the challenge of an outdoor world fraught with dangers. In reality, he is extremely tame and people oriented - even to the point of sleeping in my bed (must be a Siamese thing !!)
So there is essentially no rehabilitation involved in the process. Cats are amazing ! Now he has to gear up to endure is a week or more of staving off the boredom that can result in stress as a result of being isolated in my bedroom.

Last year I did provide a more permanent product from the link below - one of the 2 story wooden, insulated shelters with a removable roof - great place for outdoor cats to spend the night (and winter mornings !
).

http://www.feralvilla.com/

I was willing to work at the edge of the property but being alone deeper into a fairly dense thicket after dark surrounded by possibly cats and definitely spotted out by the resident raccoons, apartment maintenance patrols !!
, with heaven only knows what other clever critters of the night won't work mostly because it is terrifying to me....
It also has to be a solution amenable to trapping and that the cat sitter can pick up because I travel a decent amount.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

elayman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

I'm sorry things deteriorated to the point he was so desperate a trap wasn't needed, but it's great to hear he's inside and safe. We SO understand being stretched... but when push comes to shove, it's just too hard to do nothing.

for kitty. Hope you'll be able to quickly find him the right, wonderful home so you don't have to worry about your budget or the kitty limit (right?) in the bldg.
After the holiday I do plan to start getting out the word with the good side of management (another reason not to burn any more bridges !) - a woman who actually co-runs a foster/rescue home and has taken in two of my previous brood. He certainly is blessed with the looks to make this a happy ending - gorgeous healthy Lynx Point Siamese - and unfortunate declawing (without the temperament or litter issues), but realistically that is what a lot of adopters are looking for...

I am really trying to be optimistic because I feel horrible that was too spooked by the "feralish" outdoor behavior to listen to the vets 6 months ago who assured me he was housebroken and bring the little guy then to provide better care and comfort...So, yeah, doing nothing at this point was pretty much a non-option. Besides already being one over the limit for my unit...

rachelsdream

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Although I am a few years late in posting this response as it looks like this is an old post....I just wanted to add my 2 cents.  I totally agree there needs to be more Sanctuaries for these beautiful creatures.  I have a "small" cat rescue and live in an Apartment Complex.  Just recently I had to fight respectfully with Management for them not to just "dump" these innocent creatures off property.  I TNR and will not , under any circumstances stop feeding anything that is hungry. Period. But I do think that more safe havens for these little guys is a smart idea.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorie D.

Can you contact a local TNR group and explain your situation??? Maybe they can relocate the cats and take over their care?
I contacted the director of the local Feral Cat Coalition and in her words: "We do not relocate cats - it is highly unsuccessful and we do not have places to put them. Their best chance of survival is staying where they are."

The only real (wildly impractical
) answer is enough stray and feral cat sanctuaries to be available on an as-needed basis where they can live out their lives in an environment that is both protected and safe.

moman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I believe it is an Outright Shame that property owners, and/or managers of these apartment complexes, are not taking responsibility for the animals that are drawn to THEIR property because of THEIR dumpsters located on the property! THEY DO NOTHING ABOUT IT!! All of a sudden, when concerned tenants feel sorry for these animals because they are eating out of dumpsters, it becomes a health and hazard issue to the complex. EXCUSE ME, but the health and hazard issue to the complex, and the public, is when these animals are tracking through dumpsters and then about the complex. I feel it should be against the law for these PROPERTY OWNERS to NOT DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT! I should also add, it is illegal to mistreat a cat, so they best be doing the appropriate thing to CONTROL THEIR PROBLEM and help these animals!!! Simply FURIOUS! COME ON PEOPLE, LETS MAKE THESE PROPERTY OWNERS AND BIG BUSINESSES ACCEPT ACCOUNTABILITY! They would rather wait and pick on the little guy who tries to do the right thing and help!