Can inside kittes adjust to living outside in an enclosure?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

silverpawz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The enclosure is half done and in the mean time I'm making them a two shelf tree which looks like it's going to be an art deco style because somehow the entire thing is leaning to one side and the boards are crooked, but it's the thought that counts right?

I'm sure the cats won't care if it's pretty or not.

I'm just glad I don't have to build the enclosure myself or I'm sure it would collapse from lack of structure.

Thank you for allt he suggestions so far, and for the support, I really appreciate it.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My advice, having seen indoor cats put outdoors?

Use caution - even in an enclosure - I've known some to be "stupid" enough to not seek adequate shelter in winter (depending on where you live whether or not it's an issue).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

silverpawz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I live in South Carolina, we don't have bad winters here. I didn't even have to use my heat the entire winter season.

If anything I'd be more worried about the summer heat, but it's below a well shaded area and will have roof to block the sun.

If it gets really cold or really hot I would of course let them in.

autumnblueangel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you put them on your balcony (or wherever you mean) as long as they have adequate water, food, shelter from the elements, bedding & medical care when needed, the RSCPA will be fine with you. If you're worried, give them a call and ask them for their advice, this will go in your favor, that you're showing concern for your pets.

The RSPCA will not be concerned about the amount of cats, as long as they are living in reasonable conditions, are in reasonable health & are not being abused. If you can tick all the boxes, everything should be fine. The RSPCA is concerned only for the welfare of your pets & their living conditions.

I suggest if you put them on the balcony, buy some of those cheap plastic dog kennels, (or even wooden) put some clean warm blankets inside, and make sure the enclosure is always as clean as possible. Maybe put some cat toys & cat furniture in there for them as well.

If you live where it gets wet or it snows, make sure, in the winter, to either bring them inside, or to make sure their bedding is never wet or sodden, and perhaps regularly insert a warm , hot water bottle or buy one or two of the professional heating pads.

As long as it's enough space for them to move about, stretch, and otherwise be happy, I don't see there being a problem. Making it as VERTICAL as possible for them also helps - cats like climbing, width isn't as important as being Vertical to keep them occupied and happy and give them "me space" away from the other cats (cat climbing structures, even boxes stacked on top of each other)

The aim of the game so to speak, is to think to yourself "If I was living outside with them, what would I want? what would make me comfortable? what would be ok living conditions for me or someone I love?" and apply that. If you can do that and tick every box, then it's humane and the RSPCA cannot fault you and you'll be making your cats happy.

The one thing you need to be concerned about though, depending on your area, is snakes & spiders. Outdoor cats are at severe risk of these, but they're more street-smart than indoor cats. An indoor cat confronted with a snake might make a stupid choice and pay for it. So make sure you know your local area, and that the bottom of the enclosure is well secured so that snakes can't get in, and also keep up to date on the symptoms of spider bites & snake bites and know what to do if it occurs.

Make sure the enclosure is secure, because if you're in an area where there is nasty wildlife, they might see your kitties as a bit of a tasty treat - foxes, alligators, feral dogs, even other feral cats (depending on your area) if a fox can get a chicken in a chicken coupe, your cats would be fair game in an enclosure that isn't secure knwim?

Same goes for Insane & Nosy neighbors who might not like your cats for any reason and decide to give them a poisonous treat, probably not likely, but when you put them outside, even enclosed, you put them in a higher risk category where outside influences can affect them, thus you need to be on the ball.

These are some of the reasons I am oh so careful with my own cats indoors & safe enclosures, because there are so many hidden dangers lurking that could claim your kitties, that if you're prepared for, you can avoid and your kitties can be happy & healthy bundles of fur and joy lol

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a quick note now that I know more about how you have the litterboxes. If it's possible at all it would be great to use "closet litter boxes" or furniture litter boxes so you can keep them in more than one room

All the litterboxes being in the same room means it's extremely easy for a cat to block another cat from going to the toilet in the boxes. He just needs to sit near the door into the room and a more timid cat might not then feel comfortable enough to want to walk past and then use the box.

This can happen even if the cats aren't super enemies or anything, more that some cats just don't want to be near other cats when they go to the toilet, so having the boxes more spread out, in different rooms gives them more choice so it's a lot more likely they'll stick to the boxes.

kscatlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it's really great that you are trying everything and not just giving up on them. Good for you, they are lucky kitties.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
10 cats and 3 dogs here with just a little more square footage than you have. I have 5 oversized litter boxes that are spread around the house. If I put them in a single room, they would eliminate all over the house. Each cat has their favorite box(es) to use and they select the ones they use carefully to get away from the others. When I have health problems when a cat stops using a box, I add Cat Attract litter additive to the boxes.

And yes, I have dogs that graze in the litter boxes. To solve this, I have 3 of the boxes covered with a large box with a hole cut out. It's made from wood and covered in carpet so they also work as benches. The 4th box is in our utility room with the door open enough for cats to enter and not the dogs. The last box is in our bathroom and we have simply trained the dogs that they are not allowed in that room.

Nature's Miracle doesn't really work - a cat will return to that spot regardless of how much you have saturated it. Nok Out works exponentially better. And pee goes into wood floors, so you still have to saturate it if they go on that surface.

Many years ago, with an equal number of cats, I suffered thru the same issues that you face now. I also had to rip out the carpet, sand down the wood floors underneath, and seal them with industrial strength varnish. So I got more boxes, spread them out in the house, used the right cleaners, tested different litters to find out one that they liked the best, added Cat Attract when necessary, and enriched the house with cat condos, toys and other things to keep them entertained. When I have issues now, it is always health related.

You mentioned that you use a sawdust type litter. Maybe they simply don't like it? Do the side by side litter box test: use different litters in your boxes and see which ones they choose to use.

You can move them to the outdoor enclosure, but there are other things you can still try within your home.