Can I wait one more month? ~Mulit-cat owner question

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sunfairie

hhmm yeah..Comulous is def the alpha..he bosses Pumpkin and Coconut around all day long...

you can see it in his body movements and the cat communication battles

yet he still nurses himself to sleep
Jordan is my Alpha and he is the biggest momma's boy of them all. He fake suckles on my arm every night. For Jordan the alpha thing is a self protection stance. If he's the biggest and tuffest no one will mess with him.

Originally Posted by gailuvscats

For the females, I am not sure if it is an issue, but it makes sense to me to make sure all systems have had a chance to fully mature before nuetering takes place. I am thinking with cats, as with humans, the hormones affect all aspects of development, not just the sex organs.
I don't know about the males, but I do know that by 7 months females have been in heat at least once. Research has shown that spaying a female before her first heat is better for her health. It reduced the risk of mammory cancer to almost zero, and her risk increases with each heat cycle. So I belive in spaying by 6 months. Yes some females go into heat before 6 months, but the spay surgeory is much more difficult than a neuter.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sunfairie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rang_27

For Jordan the alpha thing is a self protection stance. If he's the biggest and tuffest no one will mess with him.

Yep that is Cumi too... he walks around in a circle with one shoulder up, arched back and a tail held high.....

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sunfairie

Yep that is Cumi too... he walks around in a circle with one shoulder up, arched back and a tail held high.....
Jordan's not as much of a bully as Isaac is, but Isaac is the most afraid of everything. I think Isaac would be alpha if Jordan hadn't been around first.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you don't spay the girl cat at the same time and just get your boy done, you will still have to keep them separated for a few weeks as he can still get her pregnant for a short while after sterilization.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sunfairie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
ok well they are all going on Wednesday like I already had scheduled....$40 is a lot of $$ (gas prices today!) I think but not worth the spraying and/or Pumpkin getting preggers.. I think it is too chancey for me to wait 6 more weeks..I could be OK but who knows...too risky

raggiekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree, that's probably the best choice and one I would make too. It's just too big of a chance for all the other things. Best of luck with it!