Can I use normal iodized salt in raw cat food?

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I suggest you do more research ...

Holisticat site...doesn't use salt at all....but other things....check out their recipes for raw ground...
I don't know why you've decided that the Holisticat web site is the definitive source of information on raw feeding. It seems to me it is just one of many, including TCS, where people discuss all the varied aspects of raw feeding. At Holisticat they have their own method of raw feeding that they promote. Here at TCS we discuss all methods without discriminating against any single one unless there is something obviously dangerous or unhealthy about it.
 There is a way of feeding that is called whole prey...it's whole chunks ...but though it's good for them..it doesn't have the supplements they need..so they suggest 1/2 whole prey ..1/2 ground..raw.
Actually 'whole prey' is just that, the whole animal which would include the thyroid gland and would not require the addition of any supplements including iodine.

Perhaps you are thinking of 'prey model' (aka, 'frankenprey')? That method involves feeding various bone-in pieces of animals, within some guidelines, in the belief that taken together those pieces are the equivalent of whole prey.

As for the issue of iodine, supplementing a home-made diet that doesn't include thyroid gland with iodine seems to me to just be common sense. Iodine plays a critical role in the long term health of cats. With all the various methods of formulating a raw diet the one thing they all have in common is that they attempt to replicate as closely as possible a cats natural diet. In it's natural diet a cat will eat an entire prey animal including the thyroid gland. The thyroid gland is where the majority of iodine is stored. So it stands to reason that when formulating a home made diet that doesn't include a thyroid gland supplemental iodine is needed to achieve the goal of replicating a cats natural diet. Like I said, common sense. 

Last edited: