Can I Teach My Kitten To Knead?

Jetblack2004

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all,
I recently got a little kitten (almost two weeks ago to be precise). She's a grey girl and she's very sweet. I got her at 8 weeks old and she'll be 10 weeks on Friday. She came from someone locally and we believe she was in a litter of 4. I know cats and kittens knead because that's how the got milk from their mothers' teats'. My question is: can you teach a kitten to knead? Little Clover is a cutie. She purrs, rubs against you, etc. But she hasn't kneaded at all. Our other cats do it and it's super sweet! She's a healthy good-sized kitten and I assume she was probably doing quite well getting milk from her mum. Does this mean she might never knead?

Thanks in advance!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, you can't teach them to do it, but when she's all comfy on your lap, soft hands and a soft voice will certainly encourage her to sink into that blissful place where kneading comes from! What is her name? She sounds lovely!

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I must be a goofball then, and I know my kitty already had a propensity to knead and "push-purr"... but I can get her to come over to a push-purr fleece blankie and start kneading on it if I sit down on the floor with the blanket first, and pretend to knead my hands on it myself.
:rolleyes: :dizzy:
:dunno:
Who knew...

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
but I can get her to come over to a push-purr fleece blankie and start kneading on it if I sit down on the floor with the blanket first, and pretend to knead my hands on it myself.
COOL! Kitten see, kitten do!

Give that a try, it might work! The fleece blankie is probably the key to it. It feels so much like Mama to them. Then seeing the motion triggers it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jetblack2004

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for your responses!

Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 , her name is Clover and she's a sweetie! She does seem to send me mixed signals, though. One moment she's enjoying being stroked, the next she's running away from me! But I assume that's normal kitty stuff. I think the breeder didn't handle the kittens much (if at all) when they were little as she was a huge scaredy cat when I first got her! I've had her two weeks and she's made big progress- purring, enjoying cuddles, tail always high.

I will try what you said PushPurrCatPaws PushPurrCatPaws ! Clover does like to watch my every move, so maybe she'll twig how ADORABLE kneading is, haha!

Jetblack2004

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ah good! My darling cat Smudge who I lost to the road not too long ago came to live with us with her four brothers. Clover is in quite a different situation as she's an 'only child'. It's good to hear from one of the experts on here that she's just being a normal little kitten!

Here's 'Clovy-Wovy' (one of her many nicknames!):
20180214_085838.jpg

blueandpink .

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She's so pretty:lovecat3:
My younger cat... I found him months ago and now he's not a little kitten anymore (1 year, one month and 2 weeks but who's counting? )
So idk how to make your cutie knead (in fact Sirius doesn't knead, not now and not since i met him on the streets at 2 months old) but how I miss those kitten things. Enjoy her! They grow up so fast.
PS: All the good luck :cheerleader:

Last edited:

Desertmouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Aww she’s such a beautiful gray girl, reminds me of what I bet Sadie looked like as a kitten!

A word of advice? Try and do as much as you can with her at this young age. Get her used to a carrier by putting her in and going to another room (maybe even one with food in it ;) ). Handle her as much as you can, holding her with her back down so you can run your fingers anywhere a vet might someday need to, and don’t forget her feet so you have a easier time with her nails later! Let her meet as many other people and animals as you can.

I can’t wait to see what a dignified lil princess she grows up to be!

Jetblack2004

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you both!

I'll tell you all how little Clover is doing:

First off, she kneads! After a lot of showing her she has finally mastered it :redheartpump:

Clover is just over 4 months now- time has flown by! She's turning into a very clever young cat and is just starting to take interest in the outside (which worries me after losing Smudge). I guess she'll have to go out at some point, though.

Here are some recent pictures of Clover in her cave:
20180414_083131.jpg
20180414_083012.jpg

I adore her :D

2rescuekitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you both!

I'll tell you all how little Clover is doing:

First off, she kneads! After a lot of showing her she has finally mastered it :redheartpump:

Clover is just over 4 months now- time has flown by! She's turning into a very clever young cat and is just starting to take interest in the outside (which worries me after losing Smudge). I guess she'll have to go out at some point, though.

Here are some recent pictures of Clover in her cave:
View attachment 227981 View attachment 227982

I adore her :D

If you worry about her being outside I would suggest a harness and teaching her to walk with it :) my Kitty Stella loves to go on walkies and at least that way I know shes safe

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is beautiful! I'm partial to gray kitties. Glad she's kneading, but if you still want to encourage her, give her something very soft to lie on, like a velour blankie or pillow. Kitties love to knead when they feel something soft under their paws.:kneading: