can i take my cat to the vet or will she freak out because she’s not at home with her kittens

catlover102

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my cat has 4 kittens which are 1 month and around 2 weeks old right now. i want to take her to the vet for a checkup because i noticed her butthole looks a bit red and while pooping is protruding slightly and looks red she doesn’t seem to be in pain and isn’t licking her butt or anything like that but it’s not normal so i want to get it checked out. My fear is that if i take her out of the house she’ll freak out more than she usually does since now she has kittens and i don’t know if she’ll get worried and go crazy. What can i do because i really want to get her checked on but i’m afraid she’ll freak out.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Take the kittens with you. At six weeks old they are about ready for their initial round of vaccines, so it will save you an extra trip to the vet. Do you have a carrier large enough for the whole family? If not, put mum in one carrier and the kittens in another.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Like with human mothers, it is not unusual to get constipated after giving birth. you could first try giving/encouraging more water, setting small bowls around the house, and mixing a tablespoon of pumpkin puree (NOT with any spices, just puree), a natural fiber, into her wet food. Do this first for a week and see if it helps. Like said above it is time for the kittens to be checked out too, so going in would not be a bad idea.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree - take the kittens with you to the vet. In the meantime, use a warm compress on her bottom and then apply coconut oil or vaseline to soothe. If it’s from constipation, she may just need more wet food and water to prevent straining. Or she may need her anal glands expressed. I hope she gets better soon! :)