Can I show my Bengal as a HHP?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some judges can recognize catteries. Its more of why buy a pet purebred and turn around and show it? If you want to show a pedigree buy a show quality one and show in alter class.

Or adopt out of the shelter. Its hard to explain, but IMO its just not a good thing to show a known pedigreed cat in the HHP. You don't have to put down the cattery name.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh darn...guess I can't show my brother's Maine Coon kitten after all...
I wanted to show him in HHP because I just thought it would be fun to try it, and a good experience for the kitten to help be sure he is used to handling and being in different places (I'd also like to do pet therapy with him.) I am not really interested in getting into the whole "show cat" circle with competing against other purebred cats for the best of the breed and racking up points and grands and all that, I just wanted to do some fun pet-type less competitive showing with the kitten, maybe a couple of times or a few times a year or something like that. I am pretty sure my adult DSH cat would not do well in a show or enjoy it, but since the kitten could start from an early age I figured it might be possible to socialize him and get him used to the whole cat show environment.

My brother was not looking for a "Show cat" when he chose, he was just looking for a good ethical breeder and a certain color/type which is hard to find. I had asked him to wait for a show-quality kitten it might have been another year or more to wait (we've already been searching for over a year for just the color/type/gender and we ended up going with the opposite gender since we could never find a female available.)

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To use Hope's Simba as an example: If he were entered in HHP in a TICA show, there would be no mistaking that he is a bengal. The judges would know it and most likely spectators and exhibitors who are familiar with bengals would instantly recognize that he's a bengal. He doesn't remotely look like a cross either, so then the questions would begin. Is he pedigreed? registered? Where'd he come from? Why isn't he being shown in alter class?

Believe me, cat show people are nosey and extreme gossips.

These questions and the answers will leave people wondering why he isn't being shown with the rest of the pedigree'd cats. Alot of them will draw their own conclusions and those usually won't favor the cattery he came from.

If Simba should be shown at all, is something Hope could discuss with the breeder she purchased him from. If the breeder gave permission Hope could enter him in Alter class.

I certainly agree with GK, that if you want to show a pedigree'd cat, buy one with that in mind and tell your breeder in advance that you intend show. Most breeders want their best kittens in the showhall for all to see how their program is doing, so a great pet kitten will get the nod of approval from a breeder to be shown.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not saying you can't do it, but if you choose to show a pedigree in HHP, check with the breeder first - if its ok with them to show in HHP, feel free to do it.

I'm just saying that if the breeder doesn't want it shown (for whatever reason), then abide by it

I never questioned Charlie's breeder why she put that pets can't be shown. I had no intention of showing him. Only cause she says he's good enough are we putting him in a few shows. What if anything he does as far as quality/wins will depend on if we show him as an altered cat after 8 months old.

He's really more of our pet - just has good quality to him
But I would only show him as a pedigee in the alter class; wouldn't put him in as a HHP. If I wanted to show in HHP, I'd put in a nice mixed breed that I felt had show potential.

Besides, some HHP people kinda resent the pedigreed cats in the HHP class - cause they are too fancy looking...believe me, I've heard it MANY times over the years!

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess I'll just have to forget about showing... It sounded like it might be fun to do but I know I cannot show him in the regular show classes since he is a "pet quality" and we did not pay for a show kitten... I thought it'd be fun to do the household pet showing but we can't have more than two cats and we already have our older DSH and now the new kitten (or we WILL have him when we can finally pick him up), so we can't go buy an actual show cat or another "mixed breed" and at any rate I just wanted to do it for fun and maybe a few ribbons, not actually seriously compete to win titles and stuff with cat bred for show. Ah well...guess I should have looked into the whole household pet thing more before I helped choose the kitten...I thought it would be ok when I found out they allow purebreds in HHP but apparently it's frowned upon so I guess I'll just have to wait until our DSH is no longer with us and try to find a kitten/cat that might enjoy showing .

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No Neko, please reread some of my posts. IF the breeder of your maine coon says its ok to show him in HHP, then try it. Just saying that some HHP people don't like it, some judges don't care.

I was trying to say that to take him and show him without letting the breeder know, is wrong. And read the contract - it may not even mention one way or the other. MY contract said pets can't be shown. But that doesn't mean all breeders have that in the contract.

When you get your kitty, ask the breeder how he/she feels about putting your kitty in the show and go from there.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Telynn

Maybe they should come up with a new catagory like the agility thing, for cats like Radar, 8-bit, Bo, Rocket, Simba and others. The "How fast can the cat destroy a room" event. If nothing else it would be interesting.
Let's see... a room with a roll of paper towels, a roll of toilet paper, some cardboard boxes, some shelving with breakable knick-knaks......
Oh absoultely! When Radar is good, he is very very good, but when he is bad he is horrid. I have this mental image of him getting overstimulated and clamping onto a judge's arm sort of like a police dog training scene, then leaping off and pouncing on people's feet and other cats before fleeing the scene and ambushing innocent passers by

Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Besides, some HHP people kinda resent the pedigreed cats in the HHP class - cause they are too fancy looking...believe me, I've heard it MANY times over the years!
I can completely understand that, I can see now that I have had it explained that HHP is for 'moggies' and I know if I put Radar into an HHP class (just imagine he was sedated or something LOL!) I would be really quite annoyed if he was up against pedigree cats that didn't quite meet the breed standard for their own classes. I understand that totally