Can I shave my cat myself?

chimb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My little kitty is going on 18 or 19 years old (human years of course =P) and we have another little kitty that lives in our home. We also have a Pomeranian that we adopted from a shelter about two years ago. In that time, the dog loves to scare the heck out of the cats if they come to the top of the stairs and so as you probably could guess, the cats generally stay downstairs. With that said, not much loving is given to the kitties and especially my older cat. This cat is a long hair cat, fairly skinny. He is a very domicile cat and has NEVER acted up on me in the 18 years we've had him. He also has extreme matting on either side of him and on his belly. I was wondering if I would be able to use a shaving trimmer (like I use, it has attachments like a barber would use) to shave down his fur on his back, sides, and belly. He does not have current vaccinations so we can not bring him to a groomer, or else I would love to, and because he is so old, I don't believe my parents want to get his vaccinations done, because to be completely honest, at that age, he could go at any time. He is a cat that is full of energy and plays with the other cat (7 years old or so) as though he is that young. Any advice? Please, I want to help my kitty and also any tips on getting the dog to leave him alone? I want my cat to be able to come up in my room again, I love my kitty and I never get to see him.

plucky's dad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It can be really hard to shave a cat. My boy Plucky is a Maine Coon crossbreed from the street, he has all KINDS of matting problems...and no matter how gentle I am, I can't even comb or brush him. I've had him shaved twice.

The first time, it took 4 people, including me. I held him around the midriff, one person held his front paws extended, one held his back legs, and the other shaved him down. It was traumatic, I am sure, for both him AND for me...I hated watching him try to twist and claw his wayout of there, but his matting was so bad he had poop trapped in his bloomers, too.

The second time, a groomer came to my house; she had me roll up a thick towel into a rope of sorts and loop it around his neck so that he was unable to struggle away, but wasn't being choked either. Still, he put up a massive, massive fight.

I would say it's possible if your kitty has the right disposition, but I think cats just innately seem to hate being shaved. :(

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I would hesitate to shave a cat unless you're a trained groomer. It's too easy to cut the skin, especially if the mats are really tight against the skin. You can try working a comb under the mats (or through them) and trim the hair with scissors on the side of the comb away from the skin. It'll probably look pretty ratty when you get through, but better than cutting the poor kitty.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would hesitate to shave a cat unless you're a trained groomer. It's too easy to cut the skin, especially if the mats are really tight against the skin. You can try working a comb under the mats (or through them) and trim the hair with scissors on the side of the comb away from the skin. It'll probably look pretty ratty when you get through, but better than cutting the poor kitty.
Agree. Either use scissors as described above or take him to a vet or groomer for shaving.

melesine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Can't help with the shaving, but as for the dog he needs to be trained to leave the cats alone. Every time he is barking at the cats or going after them tell him to leave it. He might need some time on a leash in the house while being trained how to behave around the cats. I'd also get a cat tree upstairs so the cats can escape and avoid him and get a gate for your bedroom so the cats can be there and the dog can't get in. It takes awhile, but if you are consistent you can train him to be nice to the cats. I did it with our dog.

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would not shave the cat just yet-I would go to the vet first for an exam.  Coat can tell a bit to the vet.

I would not do vaccines either.  I shave 2 of my longhairs-one gets just a touch up the other gets a full shave.  Bought some clippers from petsmart a few years ago that work wonders.

Can you get a  exercise pen an/or baby gates so the cats can be more free to move around/get attention?  gates are 10 pens it depends but would be able to use the smallest height ones.