Can I Mix Dry Food?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

manx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just an update

Visited my vet for one of my dog's checkups and asked about mixing dry food. She strongly recommended against it as mixing normal with RX food may interfere with the RX's ability to treat his problem.

She also became very rude and snarky when I asked why I possibly would want to mix other food in. Apparently the corn in the Royal Canin S/O is "nutritious" and "good" for the cat and definitely isn't filler and that chicken by-product is also very healthy.

Mmmhmm. Sure.

I can't afford a holistic vet so she'll have to do. I'm still quite hesitant about this but I'd rather keep feeding him this food than make him experience the extreme pain of blockage again.

Thank you all for the help regardless.

cinqchats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Just an update

Visited my vet for one of my dog's checkups and asked about mixing dry food. She strongly recommended against it as mixing normal with RX food may interfere with the RX's ability to treat his problem.

She also became very rude and snarky when I asked why I possibly would want to mix other food in. Apparently the corn in the Royal Canin S/O is "nutritious" and "good" for the cat and definitely isn't filler and that chicken by-product is also very healthy.
She's right about mixing prescription foods with regular, it defeats the purpose because of the way the prescription diets work.

Pfft...corn meal is nutritious and good for cats my butt.

Here are the ingredients in the RX diet you have your kitty on right now... (according to what I see on the internet)

"Chicken meal, brewers rice, corn gluten meal, corn, chicken fat, natural flavors, soy protein isolate, powdered cellulose, salt, egg product, brewers dried yeast, potassium chloride, calcium sulfate, fish oil, sodium bisulfate, vegetable oil, taurine, choline chloride, DL-methionine, vitamins [DL-alpha tocopherol acetate (source of vitamin E), niacin supplement, biotin, riboflavin supplement, D-calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin A acetate, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), folic acid, vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin D3 supplement], marigold extract (Tagetes erecta L.), trace minerals [zinc oxide, zinc proteinate, ferrous sulfate, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, copper sulfate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite], rosemary extract, preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid."

I read this as "some meat, grains, grains, fat to add calories and make it tasty, salt to make them drink more and keep them flushed out, DL-methionine, vitamins, marigold extract for color, minerals, rosemary to help keep preserved". Now you know how my brain works.

I'd like to point out the DL-methionine in particular. That amino acid is sulfur-based and is working to acidify your cat's urine. That's what the magic of this RX diet is, right there. Guess what? You can get DL-methionine in a tab form. It's cheap, liver flavored, and is easily crushed up and put on top of whatever food you like. If it were me, I'd find a new vet that doesn't think feeding cats corn is a good idea, and ask them about supplementing my cat with methionine, switching over to only wet foods, and getting a cat fountain. Ask a vet about it if you're interested.

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Just an update

Mmmhmm. Sure.

I can't afford a holistic vet so she'll have to do. I'm still quite hesitant about this but I'd rather keep feeding him this food than make him experience the extreme pain of blockage again.

Thank you all for the help regardless.
I'm sorry! Your Vet sounds kind of awful and unsupportive. I don't trust any Vet's that think food that has so much corn in it is "good" food. I had a Vet that gave me the side eye when I said i felt my cats raw and i immediately switched to someone else. I now take all my pets to a Vet that does both regular and holistic medicine and she fully supports the raw diet. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

manx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We're looking for a new vet currently. We'd really like a holistic one but they're very expensive. 

We are also looking at going raw. Right now, it doesn't seem like it but we are supplementing raw here and there (for the dogs at least, cat wouldn't even look at the raw chicken i gave him). My dogs ate their first bones the other day and even digested them properly! But as of now, we have to stick with premium kibble and wet until we sort out what to do.

Either way, here's the steaming pile of un-cited crap my vet handed me. Sorry if it's hard to read, couldn't get the scanner to work.

Thought this would give you guys a laugh!