Can I make my cat be comfortable in a carrier in under a day?

leii

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello guys! Tomorrow I have to neuter my cat and I'll have to bring him in a carrier. Until now I didn't get to buy one so that I can get him used to it, but now I find it necessary since it's a surgery so I won't really be able to carry him in my arms.

Is it possible to make him comfortable in it by tomorrow? Can I just carry him? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Very few cats like the carrier. Just put the cat into the carrier tomorrow and take him to the vet. Your cat will complain, maybe pee, but he'll be fine. No, don't carry your cat in your arms to the vet. It's unsafe because your cat will be scared and will escape and run off. Most vets require cats to be in carriers, too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

leii

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Very few cats like the carrier. Just put the cat into the carrier tomorrow and take him to the vet. Your cat will complain, maybe pee, but he'll be fine. No, don't carry your cat in your arms to the vet. It's unsafe because your cat will be scared and will escape and run off. Most vets require cats to be in carriers, too.
He seems to like it there. He already slept in it and now he's just vibing in there :) I used to carry him in my arms to the vet since it was right across the street but now he's gotten big so it's better this way. I'm glad everything is okay! Thanks for the advice anyway~

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have a cloth item he likes to sleep on or something you've worn that you can put in the carrier with him, he'll probably be calmer because it smells familiar. The vet is a scary place for kitties! You're already ahead of the game in that he seems to have no issues with the carrier.

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
How'd it go? Did you have a fight getting your kitty in the carrier?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Most vets require cats to be in carriers, too.
I completely agree. :agree: Our vet adamantly requires all cats to be in a carrier. It's not only for their safety but other cats in the vet's office too. Glad he took to the carrier and hope his neuter procedure went well.:crossfingers:

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I completely agree. :agree: Our vet adamantly requires all cats to be in a carrier. It's not only for their safety but other cats in the vet's office too. Glad he took to the carrier and hope his neuter procedure went well.:crossfingers:
Yes. The first time I took a cat to the vet, I brought him in a beer case, held shut with a bungee cord. They weren't at all happy with me at the animal hospital.