can I make my cat a lap cat?

abnihon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat is extremely affectionate - loves to be picked up and cradled like a baby, sleeps on my legs, gives me head butts and kisses, but she won't sit on my lap! I feel like she's a lap cat waiting to happen. Is there anything I can do to get her to just lounge on my lap as I watch TV?

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nope, because if you force her she will just resent you. Just leave her be and if she does come and sit on your lap, she will stay there longer if you don't pet her than if you do. That's my read on her anyway going by what you posted.

nebula11

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Keep in mind, cats have personalities/prefrences just like people do......Some cats are affectionate just like some people, and some cats can come off as moody and cold, just like some people......

And though you're cat seems very affectionate, she may not like the feel of your lap on her belly, or something like that........

Remember....cats change too just like people...My Doofus used to adore being picked up when he was younger, and now he detests it......so her being an anti lap cat may change with time.....

Also and probably most importantly...cats tend to be very independent and strong willed, forcing a cat is definitly not the route you want to go with this...Just give a cat space, because getting them to do anyting that is not on their own terms is all but impossible....

Good luck

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you ever heard the Phrase " Cats own us, we dont own them?! ".

My Sophie is the most affectionate out of both of them and thankfully she always jumps onto my lap, but Rosie will only come on when it suits her

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If she has a favorite place, in England it should be sitting near the fire, place your chair there - this forces the cat to lay on your lap if she wants to be near the warmth of the fire...

That is the trick to do.

decadenz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
LOL, maybe I should blame it on Singapore's hot weather that Catsy doesn't like to lie on my lap! She'll come sit/lie down with me, she used to enjoy sleeping near/on my feet at night, but she never was a lap cat

We'll see how Wukong goes, he's too young and frisky right now to be a proper lap kitty.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I heard the greatest quote the other day...... 'When you feed a dog they look at you as to say "Oh my, you are feeding me, you must be a god." When you feed a cat they look at you as to say " Oh my, you are feeding me, I must be a god."'
As long as we let them know we worship them, they will always allow us to serve them, and they won't even realize they do the same for us!

nekokaasan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Trying to make a cat do what you want is like trying to nail Jello to a tree.

FWIW, I sympathize. The boys favor my fiance's lap over mine and while they frequently cuddle him, I very rarely get any attention. It kind of hurts my feelings a little bit, I guess, but I love them and they are both sweet boys - and they do let me pet them and pick them up.

Also, when he's not around, they deign to use me as a substitute. ^_~

blue_monday_88

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rosiemac

Have you ever heard the Phrase " Cats own us, we dont own them?! ".

My Sophie is the most affectionate out of both of them and thankfully she always jumps onto my lap, but Rosie will only come on when it suits her
Ditto. Cassie is soooooo not a lap cat, but when we first got Napoleon, he was. Now after watching his big sister with us, he is no longer a lap cat

They both sleep in the bed with us, or in Cassie's case, ON US. So it works out anyway. Don't force her, then she won't like you LOL.

vibiana

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you have an extremely affectionate cat, she's on her way to being a lap cat as it is. Don't push her. LOL

I have three cats, two of whom are certified cuddle bunnies. The other one is more independent -- she doesn't like to be picked up or held, but if she's in the right mood she will lie on the sofa or bed next to me and let me rub her tummy. That's almost as good as cuddling her on my lap.

However, NONE of the three respond well to being forced to cuddle. You have to wait for them to come to you. That's how cats work. LOL

If you want a lap cat, give her plenty of opportunities to cuddle with you. Sit down, call her and beckon to her, then WAIT for her to come to you. Don't go and get her. If she knows it's her choice, she'll be a lot more willing.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dushka and Ellie will go on anyone's lap, Persil will only do so occasionally. Wellington is completely shameless about taking love, Napoleon will settle down of a bit if you pick him up first. Every cat is different.

twofatcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have two certified lap kitties here. So much so that I sometimes have to shut myself in my office if I want to get anything done, otherwise as soon as I sit down, PLUNK there is a cat in my lap again. And trying to sew is a major problem, as they keep trying to get in my lap even when I'm at the sewing machine or serger.

Red Cat, too, used to be a lap kitty big time. But he gained five pounds and I lost 20. I think now he is just too big for my lap to be comfortable. He'll sit there and purr for maybe five minutes if I lift him up there, but he'd rather get his lovin' in bed. There he lies beside me and demands to be petted for up to an hour at a time.

I guess each cat has to choose their own way of showing affection.

jeanw

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by nekokaasan

Trying to make a cat do what you want is like trying to nail Jello to a tree.
That is the truth! Great expression! You really can't "make" cats do anything they don't want to.

Originally Posted by Vibiana

If you have an extremely affectionate cat, she's on her way to being a lap cat as it is. Don't push her. LOL

You have to wait for them to come to you. That's how cats work. LOL

If you want a lap cat, give her plenty of opportunities to cuddle with you. Sit down, call her and beckon to her, then WAIT for her to come to you. Don't go and get her. If she knows it's her choice, she'll be a lot more willing.
Exactly!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abnihon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
the odd part is that the first day I met her (she was a stray on the street) I put her on my lap and she happily napped there. Everytime I visited her outside she was happy to sit on my lap. But then once I moved her inside, and she discovered couches and other comfy places she decided my lap wasn't good enough anymore!

millyanddaisy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Do you have anything on your lap when you are trying to encourage her to sit on you? Like an old sweater or something soft like that? My Milly loves laps but will only sit on one if there's something for her to snuggle into once she's there. It also helps to have something there for the claws to dig into while they're pummelling, and saves your skin getting punctured!

Sue

cdubbie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
that's a good point Sue.

I have this fleece blanket called "The Mother" - because any cat who discovers it wants to sleep on ALL THE TIME! LOL! A stranger could have it on them - there goes the cat!

This is every cat I've ever lived with - and that is at least 15 of them - even the non-affectionate ones.

ixheartxdarwin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Darwin will stay max 5 minutes on your lap. B/c of his long hair he gets really hot. He won't jump up, but he will stay if you put him there

sunflowergirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I turned one of my cats I used to have into a semi-lap cat. She was super affectionate too but didn't sit on my lap. I bought her special treats that she loved and only let her have one if she sat on my lap first.

I started off giving her one if she would sit on the sofa next to me. Once she did that every time I'd hold a treat above my lap so she had to step onto my lap first before she got it. Then I just extended that more and more so she had to sit on my lap longer and longer to get the treat.

She never was a huge lap cat and didn't like being petted while on my lap, but she was much happier sitting on my lap for a bit than she was before. And eventually she'd sit on my lap for awhile without the treats.