Can I leave my 4 month old kitten alone for 10 days?

crikito

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just got a 4 month old kitten -- when I leave for my trip, I will have had her for only 1 week.  I feel awful, the timing is awful!  She needs lots of attention--meows at me, follows me around, sleeps on my chest etc. and I am worried that leaving her for 10 days will be too much.  My friend can stop in for a few minutes every day.  Should I cancel my trip?  None of my friends can take her to their apt.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh boy..... If it was an older cat I would have no problem with leaving and having someone checking once a day.....
But a young kitten like that...... It can get in trouble fast and when it does, it can get serious FAST.
I would not, but that's me.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I honestly just wouldn't.  I'm sorry, but it's such an important time for the little girl.  And as Carolina says.. so much could go wrong; she's a baby. A few minutes a day just wouldn't do it.

Would one of your friends stay at your place for the time?

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Would one of your friends stay at your place for the time?
  That is actually what we do when we travel.  I have a friend come stay in our house.  We pay her a bit and leave snacks and things.  She takes care of the girls, waters my plants/garden, etc.  It's been a good arrangement.  I also wouldn't be comfortable leaving one that small alone for so long.  I hope you can figure something out!

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't want to do it in this situation ... a  4 month old kitten,  left to her own devices for nearly 24/7 for 10 days,  could  get into a lot of trouble just out of normal kitten energy and curiosity.

And then add to it that this kitten  has just gone through moving to a new home and it sounds like she is very emotionally needy right now and has bonded strongly to you as her  substitute "mom".... and then to not only have YOU leave,  but to be left completely alone for nearly every minute for ten days,  she may feel abandoned ,  may even start to panic.   Cats can have separation anxiety similarly to dogs and can not only be destructive to things but can even hurt themselves somehow.   And even if there's no physical harm,  this is still an important time in her psychological / social development and I would not want to put her through something that may be traumatic.  It's better for her to learn to be alone in smaller increments. 

Mani has a good suggestion --   Could you get a friend to just stay at your house? 

my-boy-jasper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm also going to chime in to say I would not advise leaving her alone for that period. After one week in her new home she won't even be settled in yet. I think she would be so anxious and lonely if left by herself. She really needs someone around to help her feel secure and to play with her. And it isn't just the 10 days she would be unhappy because I think it would take her quite some time to recover from that experience. I don't mean to sound so melodramatic but I just think she is too young to be left alone for such a long time.  

Also, someone needs to keep a good eye on things like her appetite and toileting at that age in a new home. And the safety factor is a huge concern. A bored, anxious unsupervised kitten is too big a risk in my opinion. I like the idea of having a friend stay with her for the 10 days. Where did you get her from? If it was a breeder or foster home is there any chance they would look after her for that time? And yeah, if there's no other choice I would cancel your trip rather than leave her alone. Would you really enjoy yourself if you were worried about her anyway?

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Agree with everything that has been posted. I had to leave my kitten after a few weeks to go to a conference but I rent from my mother so she was here and I also got my friend to move in for the week so someone would be here at all times. I agree with the above post if you could pay a friend to move in that would be a good option. Otherwise I would cancel the trip.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crikito

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone, I took your advice and had my friend stay at the apartment for the trip--thanks so much for everyone's replies, they were greatly appreciated.  Best, Liz

sez2929

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't do it, get a house sitter, or take her to a friends or your parents or put her in a cattery, leave her somewhere she will be cared for and fed well.