Can I give Pyrantel Pamoate to my cat?

kochumai2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a cat I let outside.
He seems pretty skinny; I suspect maybe he has worms.

My questions:
- Is Pyrantel Pamoate Suspension safe to give my cat if he doesn't have worms and I am wrong?
- How much of a dose of Pyrantel Pamoate Suspension should I give my cat, based on weight?

My goal:
I'd like to skip a vet visit and be able to give my cat a dewormer which will not hurt him if he does not have worms, and which will be effective, in case he does have worms.

If Pyrantel Pamoate Suspension fits this criteria, then I'd like to use it.
If not, then please recommend a wormer I can buy over the counter which does.

My cat is now about 3 years old.
It's very hot where I'm at right now so it's hard to say if he's lethargic, he seems normal, just skinny.
We have 4 cats so I'm not sure who's poop is who's, but I don't think there has been diarrhea in the litter box.
He has vomited before, but almost all of my cats have done that because of cat food: they've vomited their kibble.

But there is one notable thing: about a day ago, my cat vomited bile mixed with a little bit of green grass.

Could this be another possible indication that he has worms?

I appreciate all the input greatly.

By the way, here's what I'd like to buy, I just need to know it will be safe to give my cat even in the case he does not have worms:

Amazon.com: Pyrantel Pamoate Suspension 50 Mg 16 Oz Bottle by Generic: Health & Personal Care

Last edited by a moderator:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
kochumai2 kochumai2 we don't give dosage advice here, and I'm not sure whether anyone uses this medication; I haven't heard of it, but then I'm in Australia.
My cats will often throw up grass that they've managed to get hold of.. they can't digest it and so it comes back up, often with some fluid. It's not usually an indication of worms although some say it can relate to digestive issues.
I pick up worm tablets from my vet. They don't charge for a visit, and I know then that what I'm using is approved.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, that's what I use (and what most vets use, if you've ever seen them give a cat the yellowish-white vanilla/banana flavored stuff). You can find dosing information in the Merck Vet Manual :). Merck Veterinary Manual

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kochumai2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know this is a very late response But if anyone knows, what I'm really curious about:

If I give it to my cat and it turns out they don't have worms -will it be harmful in this case?
Do I only use if I know there's worms?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kochumai2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, that's what I use (and what most vets use, if you've ever seen them give a cat the yellowish-white vanilla/banana flavored stuff). You can find dosing information in the Merck Vet Manual :). Merck Veterinary Manual
Thank you.
Do you know if it's harmful to give if the cat doesn't have worms?

Can it be used as a general check-up/maintenance dewormer?

DebbieLamb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
First of all, if he's an outside cat and he catches mice and other small critters, he likely has worms. Since he's outside, he should likely be dewormed and a deworming product won't hurt him if he doesn't have worms.

However, certain dewormers only are effective against certain worms. Pyrantel Pamoate is effective against roundworms and hookworms but will not kill tapeworms. Your best bet is to talk to a vet about a broad spectrum dewormer because if he is catching and eating mice, it's quite likely he has tapeworms.