Can I give my cat Benadryl?

patnovi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
OK, thanks Stephanie, we'll try that.  I appreciate your help!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You could also try Rescue Remedy, but with her advanced age, I'd try the Feliway first.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Okay, I read your original post.  I have a kitty with feline herpes and when she's stressed, she breaks out with acne on her chin.  I make sure to clean her dry food bowl daily, even though it's a ceramic bowl.  We run Feliway 24/7 in our home, and I give her a daily antihistamine.  I use Claritin (loratadine).  You can give 1/2 of a 10mg tablet once a day.  It dissolves fairly easily in water, so I add a bit of water to her wet food, drop the pill in, smash it up and mix into her food.  I also give her Lysine, the powdered form, mixed into her food twice a day.

patnovi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, I purchased the Feliway and installed it last night.  This product, so far, is nothing short of a miracle!  My cat cried a few times this morning when she wanted breakfast, but after that, she has been mostly quiet all day.  No more incessant whining, and we were actually able to sleep in after I fed her.  So far so good, and we are praying that this peace continues.  Thanks so much for the advice.  I am so relieved that I happened to land on this web site.  Thanks CatPack and Stephanie.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so glad that you've gotten some relief!!  I have found the best prices for Feliway refills online through Amazon or Entirely Pets.  It's important that you replace them every 30 days.  I know when it's time to replace mine because my Hannah gets extra hissy!  LOL   Something else to try to help her sleep through the night is to establish a nighttime routine.  Have a hard play session, then give your kitty a little wet food cat food serving as a "treat".  This mimics a cat's normal body rhythm of play, eat, sleep.  This has worked well for us for the past many years.  All my new kitties have no problems adapting to the routine and sleeping through the night. 

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Well, I purchased the Feliway and installed it last night.  This product, so far, is nothing short of a miracle!  My cat cried a few times this morning when she wanted breakfast, but after that, she has been mostly quiet all day.  No more incessant whining, and we were actually able to sleep in after I fed her.  So far so good, and we are praying that this peace continues.  Thanks so much for the advice.  I am so relieved that I happened to land on this web site.  Thanks CatPack and Stephanie.
That's great news!  I'm so glad it's working for her!

I'm so glad that you've gotten some relief!!  I have found the best prices for Feliway refills online through Amazon or Entirely Pets.  It's important that you replace them every 30 days.  I know when it's time to replace mine because my Hannah gets extra hissy!  LOL   Something else to try to help her sleep through the night is to establish a nighttime routine.  Have a hard play session, then give your kitty a little wet food cat food serving as a "treat".  This mimics a cat's normal body rhythm of play, eat, sleep.  This has worked well for us for the past many years.  All my new kitties have no problems adapting to the routine and sleeping through the night.
I've found that mine only last about 20 days.
 I didn't think it had been quite a month when they were running out, so I started putting the date on them & sure enough, only 20 days! 

(I wonder if the ceiling fans being on have anything to do w/ it?)

I have also found the best prices on Entirely Pets & Amazon.

wallstreetsmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can I ask if you are feeding your cat in a ceramic bowl? My cat was getting sores under his chin and the vet told me to use plastic or stainless steel bowl. It immediately healed. Zrytec is also ok for your pets allergies. I used Zrytec and it didn't make my cat drool but the vet changed it to benedryl I guess because his allergies were really severe at the time with bleeding sores. The dose was 1/2 tab. 3 times a day for the first 3 days. Imagine that. He drooled so much the first time and showed immediate relief and was very relaxed so I kind of just skipped the other 2 doses.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can I ask if you are feeding your cat in a ceramic bowl? My cat was getting sores under his chin and the vet told me to use plastic or stainless steel bowl. It immediately healed. Zrytec is also ok for your pets allergies. I used Zrytec and it didn't make my cat drool but the vet changed it to benedryl I guess because his allergies were really severe at the time with bleeding sores. The dose was 1/2 tab. 3 times a day for the first 3 days. Imagine that. He drooled so much the first time and showed immediate relief and was very relaxed so I kind of just skipped the other 2 doses.
I agree here about the bowls. As soon as I changed Angel's bowls to ceramic it made all the difference. He would still occasionally get some acne on his chin, & a member here told me to also take up his plastic place mat, & that worked! Hard to believe such a small thing can make a difference, but kitties are sensitive. 

I would also ask if your cat has feline herpes, are you giving him lysine daily? It is essential if he does. The dosage is 250 mg. 2XS/day. When Angel has had a flare up, I double it to 500 mg. 2XS/a day.

This is the correct, safe & vet recommended dosage. You can get it at any health food store. Usually in 500 mg. capsules, so I just sprinkle half of the capsule in his breakfast, & the other half in dinner.

Like I said, if his eyes, chin, etc.. are having a break out, I give a whole capsule in each meal (2 a day) for about 2-3 wks. until better. 

Also, as I posted above in an earlier post, I also give 1/2 an allergy pill each night, as my boy can be an itchy one, even though he doesn't have any grains in his food, etc..

I just alternate between bottles of Zyrtec, & Clariton, so he doesn't get immune to one.

wallstreetsmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No, I've never given him that. His allergies affects his ears. The fur comes off and then he wants to scratch his ears off. Someone suggested to me today, to try giving him raw meat. I have tried ejust abiut every pet store food and Rx blend for his cindition and nothing is working. It will either give severe diarrhea or the allergies on his ears.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, I've never given him that. His allergies affects his ears. The fur comes off and then he wants to scratch his ears off. Someone suggested to me today, to try giving him raw meat. I have tried ejust abiut every pet store food and Rx blend for his cindition and nothing is working. It will either give severe diarrhea or the allergies on his ears.
Have you tried grain free?  (& or limited ingredient foods).For long enough to really tell a difference? Ear allergies can be from that.  I know it can be expensive, but if he's that bad, it would be worth having him tested for allergies at the vet. It would be a good thing to discuss w/ your vet. 

Feeding raw is an option, BUT, you really have to make sure you do it properly, so he gets the right nutrition. There are a ton of raw feeding threads on here you can look up, & plenty of members who feed raw, that would be willing to help & support you w/ answering questions too. 

good luck & keep us posted. 

nora1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So I just tried to give Marley some benadryl and this statement couldn't have been more true:

In cats, oral diphenhydramine is bitter and can cause profuse, yet temporary, drooling.

He was foaming at the mouth something terrible and I didn't even give him half of the suggested dose. I feel awful for him
I'll try mixing it with his food and see if he will take it that way, if not we will have to make a trip to the vet!
You can also buy benadryl in pill form, then put it in a pill pocket. Although you'll have to be extra careful with the dosage in pill form. Maybe re-check with your vet regarding the pill forms of benadryl.

FYI - benadryl will make your cat very sleepy! We were told to give benadryl to our cat once as well (by a vet), and we gave the liquid form. Same thing happened, foamed at the mouth, but then had a huge nap afterwards!

Last edited:

windycat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't think my Vet would give me instructions on how to kill my own cat. My vet also suggested Benadryl for Buddy after her rabies shot when she scratched the area where the shot had been administered. I didnt have to give her Benadryl because she was back to her normal self the next day. I'll take a certfied Vet who's been in business for 15 years advice over random commenters on the net, any day. I'm saying this because of other hysterical comments (old and recent) that I've read on this site concerning giving cats Benadryl. It IS safe for cats if you give the correct dosage. Always check with your vet on correct dosage...