Can I give freeze-dried raw for dogs to my cat?

eljuna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm looking into homemade raw and cooked diets, but at the moment I'm stretched really thin and need to find something my allergic-to-everything 12-year-old IBD cat can stomach. She's currently on Hill's Prescription Diet z/d and, while she was thriving on it several months ago, she's just not doing as well these days. Her appetite isn't what it used to be and she's not as perky. No other symptoms aside from some itching and the occasional hairball. I feel like she's in need of a diet change and want to get her on something new immediately, even if I'm not ready to jump into homemade.

When I say she's allergic to everything, I mean all the common proteins and the typical novel ones (lamb, venision, pork, duck. rabbit). She's been enjoying freeze-dried exotic meat treats, e.g., kangaroo, ostrich, buffalo. I was excited to get her some new freeze-dried raw food with the same proteins and, surprise!, the rarer meats only come in dog formulas. Definitely not a happy surprise :angrycat:

Please don't recommend wet food with kangaroo, etc., because for some reason she develops an allergy to proteins in dry and wet food a lot faster.

Can I give her the dog formulas if I add taurine?

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn’t. Raw food for dogs (especially freeze dried) has way too much bones than for cats (I even think that FD for cats typically has too much bones that they need unfortunately).

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I wouldn’t. Raw food for dogs (especially freeze dried) has way too much bones than for cats (I even think that FD for cats typically has too much bones that they need unfortunately).
You might try calling the manufacturers of the exotic meat companies and ask them if the bone ratio is higher in the dog formulas. What I have found with the dog formulas is that the vegies and fruits are higher by a small percentage, but not really the bones. Depending on what they say, you might give them a try WITH the additional of taurine as you stated. 0

Can you find any freeze dried plain muscle meat in those "exotic" meats? If so, perhaps you could add a few pieces to the food to up the percentage of meat and lower the percentage of bone. I do that right now with one of my cats who does eat Stella and Chewy freeze dried Dog as part of her rotation, only because of the flavor. I just don't understand why the cat foods are so limited in variety :sigh: