Can I get toxoplasmosis

ander35

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I took the dirty cat liter bag and threw it away. I don't think I got cat litter on my hands. Then I went back and to open the new pan liner O had to do that thing where you lick your thumb to wet it so you can open the bag or separate dollar bills. Could I have gotten toxoplasmosis from that?

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's unlikely. Most of us with cats routinely touch the litter but rarely get infected. If your cat isn't infected, you won't get it either. I'm assuming your vet has tested and/or treated your cat. Frankly, I've never known anyone who got the parasites from their cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ander35

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Why do you assume that my vet has tested and treated my cat? Do they test and treat all cats for toxoplasmosis?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ander35

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks seventh. That link reminded me that the cat is only contagious for like 20 days of their entire life and that's if they just got infected recently which requires eating raw meat or dead animals. So yeah I am ok, I need a shrink is what I need.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
The short answer is yes but probably not. 

This is a cut and paste

Experts estimate that about half of toxoplasmosis infections are caused by eating raw or undercooked infected meat, but you can also get the parasite by eating unwashed contaminated produce, drinking contaminated water, or handling contaminated soil, cat litter, or meat and then touching your mouth, nose, or eyes.

Assigning toxoplasmosis to cats and cat litter is really misinformation and the reason so many get rid of their cats when the baby is coming.  I have a pair of cheap plastic clogs and I always wear a pair of cheap disposable gloves , you can buy them in boxes of up to 500 in hardware stores or about 40 in dollar stores Followed by hand washing. Basic sanitation you should use even if you aren't concerned about disease. If your cat is an indoor cat only there is little chance of them having tox anyways.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks seventh. That link reminded me that the cat is only contagious for like 20 days of their entire life and that's if they just got infected recently which requires eating raw meat or dead animals. So yeah I am ok, I need a shrink is what I need.
I think it was a reasonable question.

SeventhHeaven

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I use gloves, bleach diluted , hand sanitizers etc clearing cleaning the boxes

all the time. It's good to be cautious.