Can I get some input on this.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Wesley's Mom

Wow, amazing! You drew those?
Yes, I sure did. I love to draw and paint, as well as work on computer graphics.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like it
But not positive about the palomino color - I think it could be a bit lighter, but over all its a very good picture.

And Ginger the Little Pony picture is very good to.

I like drawing/painting, but I'm my own worse critic

purefusion

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
An honest critique:

A. the colors are so vivid and bright, it makes the drawing feel cartoony; B. But the horse is mostly drawn realistically, creating a contrast between the subject and the background; C. But the contrast isn't enough to look intentional nor subtle enough to blend the two into one style D. therefore, the horse should look more realistic (and more proportional) to make the contrast between the styles greater and make it look like it was supposed to be that way.

Technique is good; I didn't care for the way the leaves on the trees were drawn as I can see your airbrush strokes but that adds to the cartoony feel. Very nice rainbow.

Compare this to the Little Pony drawing: the background and subject are both of one style, cartoony, and this lends to a cohesive and lovely drawing that looks professional and intentional.

Keep making art, you're sure to get better with each drawing!

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah, I'm thinking the trees were the biggest mistake in this picture. Had I not put the trees in the picture, it probably wouldn't have looked so cartoony. I'm more used to doing cartoony stuff, to be honest. Thanks for the critique.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by HopeHacker

Please let me know what you HONESTLY think of it. Thanks.
Is this one of those paint by number paintings or did you paint it on a blank canvas?

Assuming this is 100% your creation and painted onto a blank canvass using your own imagination and not a template, I would say that you are off to quite a good start.

The shape of the horse is very well done, as is the shape of the mane. And I generally like the colours. It's bright and has a "feel good" quality. Plus it's somewhat whimsical with the rainbow in it. I also like the sky and the light rays. Looking at it I get the feeling of "movement" from the light like it's shimmering.

Some things that I am not fussy about are the trees. They all look the same. Too much of the branches are showing in the front. They need more greenery to make the tree look lush and full. As they are right now it looks like they only have leaves on the top and on either side. Plus there are no shadows within the branches or under the trees on the ground. The lack of shadows gives the impression that the trees are floating and that they don't belong in the scene.

The image really needs some shadows to add some depth to it. The horse really needs more defining shadows. There is a bit in the face, but not enough, and there is none on the body which makes the horse look 1 dimensional. The mane could use some more shades of colour in it so that the individual hairs stand out more and there should be some shadowing between the clumps of hair and where the mane meets the body of the horse.

I like the added touch of the rainbow, however I would suggest lowering the opacity of it by maybe 50% or 60% so that it's not so opaque. Rainbows are see through because they are reflections of light.

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's not a Paint By Numbers or Template. It's my own creation. I am going to work on it or should I say another one, and see if I can do better. I agree the trees are a big mistake in this picture. I think I should make more realistic trees. I think I should lighten the Palomino's colour. If you saw the original, you would see that I have the strands of mane in several different shades, but that doesn't show up that well on this.

Thanks for the input.