Can I Get My Kitten Sick

Holtby70

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hey there so I’m a bit sick rn. I don’t know what but is usual throat hurts mucus and headache. I don’t think it’s the flu or anything extremely serious. However my kitten has to stay in the master bedroom for a few more weeks so we know she has no diseases she will not transmit to our older cat. I don’t wanna leave her in there alone because that’s mean, however I don’t wanna get here sick. Suggestions?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No, you can't transmit it to kitties. I've had the flu, stomach viruses, common colds, sinus infections, shingles, and who knows what other kinds of things and my kitties haven't gotten sick. If anything, she will be a comfort to you while you're ill.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Holtby70

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No, you can't transmit it to kitties. I've had the flu, stomach viruses, common colds, sinus infections, shingles, and who knows what other kinds of things and my kitties haven't gotten sick. If anything, she will be a comfort to you while you're ill.
I looked it up and it said you can. Also my cat has sneezed 3 times tonight. Are you sure?

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I looked it up and it said you can. Also my cat has sneezed 3 times tonight. Are you sure?
H Holtby70 - You are correct - cats are susceptible to certain of the H-pathogen viruses carried by Humans.

https://catwisdom101.com/vet-101-cats-can-get-the-flu-too/

From the article: "That cats are susceptible to the (Flu) virus is a relatively recent discovery, so not all veterinarians are aware of this fact or that human beings can transmit the flu to cats."

Thankfully, cats are much better - and much quicker - at "throwing off" the effects of the Flu.

javannalynn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
actually this would really only effect a cat with a weakened immune system. when my old kitty got an upper respiratory infection i was sure it would spread fast to the other 3. none of them got it. He was on A LOT of pred at the time which was weakening his immune system. The likelihood of your cat catching something from you is EXTREMELY slim.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
actually this would really only effect a cat with a weakened immune system. when my old kitty got an upper respiratory infection i was sure it would spread fast to the other 3. none of them got it. He was on A LOT of pred at the time which was weakening his immune system. The likelihood of your cat catching something from you is EXTREMELY slim.
Actually, no, it isn't; it simply depends upon the strain, as noted ("certain of the H-pathogen viruses") in Post #4. Current research has shown that cats are extremely susceptible to H5N1, and that susceptibility to H1N1 - while not confirmed yet through the ongoing joint U. Cal / U Florida Study - is likewise very possible.

Influenza virus infection in cats |

javannalynn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
In the years since, the research team has turned up 11 more cats, one dog and even some ferrets that seem to have been infected with H1N1 due to human contact.
Realistically, though, the actual number of animals infected is quite small when compared to the population at large

Read more: Can You Give the Flu To Your Dog or Cat? | Science | Smithsonian

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So let's say we have a cold - and btw this is awesome info to know - and don't laugh because I'm actually serious when I ask this. Should we give ourselves a little spray down with Lysol (clothing only) or is there a disinfectant we can use on us to help keep us clean enough so that we are less likely to pass it along? Especially if we have multiple kitties.

To be honest I'm really thinking about when we are looking after a cat with a cold/flu but don't want to leave the other without attention. It can be applied to us too though I'm sure.

Or keep everything clean like we would normally if someone in the home was sick.

What 's a good disinfectant to use around the home for these kinds of situations that wouldn't be harmful to our little creatures?

javannalynn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Disinfectants are just horrible if you ask me. Your body needs germs good and bad to function. Disinfectants/antibacterial stuff doesn't discriminate it just kills all good and bad bacteria. I'm not saying don't wash your hands or counters but over use is a concern.

Also the likelihood of getting anything from them is even slimmer.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So let's say we have a cold - and btw this is awesome info to know - and don't laugh because I'm actually serious when I ask this. Should we give ourselves a little spray down with Lysol (clothing only) or is there a disinfectant we can use on us to help keep us clean enough so that we are less likely to pass it along? Especially if we have multiple kitties.

To be honest I'm really thinking about when we are looking after a cat with a cold/flu but don't want to leave the other without attention. It can be applied to us too though I'm sure.

Or keep everything clean like we would normally if someone in the home was sick.

What 's a good disinfectant to use around the home for these kinds of situations that wouldn't be harmful to our little creatures?
F FeralHearts - These are transmissible zoonotic viral infections; the best means of prevention is to make an effort not to shed the virus proper onto your cat(s) (i.e. don't sneeze on them, cough on them, nor groom them with your hands before disinfecting).

On hard, non-porous surfaces, many disinfectants will eradicate the H-viruses, but otherwise:

Why Is the CDC Recommending Lysol For H1N1?

Holtby70

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So to recap. Is it okay if my kitten snuggles with me while I’m sick? I have a virus of sorts. Nothing horribly serious but I have the usual throat hurt coughing runny nose stomach pain at times headache.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats have always cuddled with me when I was sick. I have never shared, strep throat, a cold, the flu, or bronchitis with my cats. I have had cats in my life since I was a kid and I am in my 40's now. I also have never picked up any illnesses from my cats wanting to cuddle with me when they have been sick.

DaughterofBast

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You should be okay as pets can usually fight off common illnesses that we get very well. Use as such common sense as you can such as don't sneeze or cough on her if you can help it. Wash your hands often especially before handling her. She should be just fine.

Holtby70

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You should be okay as pets can usually fight off common illnesses that we get very well. Use as such common sense as you can such as don't sneeze or cough on her if you can help it. Wash your hands often especially before handling her. She should be just fine.
So it’s okay she’s sneezing a little much now? Other than sneezing she seems fine though. No discharge eating active sleeping well.