Can I dye my cat with Kool Aid???? Need answers fast!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

purr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it goes to show that you are a loving cat-mommy to want to ask before doing it. I'm sure many people here have done something that wasn't good for their cats that could have been avoided by doing some research or even by coming here to ask.

I have no idea what a cat would do if he was kool-aid'ed. They can't see color like humans, so it's possible they wouldn't even know they were a different color....maybe just a different shade of whatever color they already see their selves as. I think the bottom line is: if you wouldn't let your cat drink it, don't dye them with it.
Just for future reference.

zazusmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! I have been a hairstylist for 13 years...and my experiences with wild teens that wanted to color their hair, but their moms wouldn't let them...have turned into more of a nightmare than just normal hair dye. BUT...I am NOT saying to dye your kitty with regular hair dye, either!! Kool-aid ends up staining the hair...much like it does when you spill it on your carpet, or on your couch. This is impossible to get out of hair! We normally have to use hair BLEACH to get the fushia or magenta out of kids hair...so I can only assume that it would not be good for kitties! Please do not try this...I think it would be a HUGE mistake! Hope this helps!

~Zazusmom,
and Mojo, too!

tygerlily

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I read the book cover to cover and it says the dye only lasts about 2 months due to the natural shedding and grooming cats do. Also, yes they do say they are using vegatable die, which I also assume is just food coloring. The way I see it, if it doesnt hurt us, it wont hurt them! They mentioned of calming (petting) techniques and short sessions while the cats sleep (which they can do up to 18 hours a day! lol) I've been wanting this book for a couple years and I just got it and love it! Since my cat is mostly dark colored i plan on just a little color on her face..... The book also clearly states only some cats will cooperate, so I agree if you were to force the cat that would be cruel and you'd get hurt!

purity

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tygerlily

I read the book cover to cover and it says the dye only lasts about 2 months due to the natural shedding and grooming cats do. Also, yes they do say they are using vegatable die, which I also assume is just food coloring. The way I see it, if it doesnt hurt us, it wont hurt them! They mentioned of calming (petting) techniques and short sessions while the cats sleep (which they can do up to 18 hours a day! lol) I've been wanting this book for a couple years and I just got it and love it! Since my cat is mostly dark colored i plan on just a little color on her face..... The book also clearly states only some cats will cooperate, so I agree if you were to force the cat that would be cruel and you'd get hurt!
Unfortunately there are things that won't hurt us but will hurt them! Do you really want to take the chance?

Be very, very careful of putting anything on a cats face, if she moves it could go in her eye, or irritate her sensitive nose/eyes etc

tygerlily

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
we've all got an opinion on this thats 'fur' sure! The book is called "Why Paint Cats" and for some of the beautiful pictures and tons of conflicting opinions much more longwinded and irate than here, go to www.whypaintcats.com.
I still am gonna do something lol - not much but i know my cat, and she wont mind as long as I don't put her head in a vice to do it lol! maybe some nice blue eyebrows and ear tips?

boudie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We dye our cat (named Dog) every Easter.  No reason the entire family can't participate in the Holiday!

We use the left over Easter Egg color or just food coloring directly on the fur.  It's a bit of a messy process but well worth it and it lasts for a couple months.

I recommend old clothes and then find a place to keep him while it dries.  

Good Luck!

tabbymommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Me I don't think that they should be treated like toys (I even treated my toys like they had a pulse don't ask why) but I do think it would be cute to dress up a cat or dog for a holoday never really had the earge to do it but suddenly want to after reading the post just cause I love animals and think its cute to see them dressed up ( had dogs that loved to wear shirts and coats cause she was short haired and cold a lot during winter)

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
To reiterate what has been repeated in this thread:

Do not dye your cats because they will end up licking their coat and ingesting whatever is on it. Seemingly harmless substances can be toxic to cats when ingested in relatively large quantities by a cat.

tabbymommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I wasn't thinking about dying I was just thinking about putting cloths on her and Tiggger cause I want to dress them up for holidays just to make them look cute no dying of fure of anything like that just cloths lol

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Just to clarify, my comment wasn't addressing anyone specifically. This is a fairly old thread which is about dyeing cats, so I wanted to make sure anyone reading this now is clear on the dangers of dyeing a cat's coat 

midnightoctavia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I did it... It's completely harmless AND non-toxic. I haven't found a method yet for getting the color to stick, the first time I used just kool-aid mix and water in the bathtub, it KINDA worked, but not so well :p

I found a method on this site that i'm going to try http://www.wikihow.com/Dye-Your-Cat's-Fur-With-Kool-Aid.

ALWAYS REMEMBER!

use ONLY animal products for bathing, and the only safe one I use human wise, is Pert. Regular 'ole green bottle Pert.

and make sure you scrub them good after your done coloring them, to make sure you got the colored water out completely.

HAPPY COLORING!!!

Last edited:

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm very leery of putting anything on my cats that hasn't been proven to be non-toxic. I have not been able to find any research about dyeing cats or other animals with kool-aid, so no proof one way or the other. Therefore, no kool-aid or other food coloring for my cats.

Note Anne's previous post about the subject.

To reiterate what has been repeated in this thread:

Do not dye your cats because they will end up licking their coat and ingesting whatever is on it. Seemingly harmless substances can be toxic to cats when ingested in relatively large quantities by a cat.

Status
Not open for further replies.