Can Excessive Peeing Be Caused By Anxiety?

smosmosmo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've had my cat for three months, and she was previously owned by a neighbor. Her daughter dumped her 1-year-old cat on my neighbor (a relative), I assume because she felt too guilty to rehome her properly. This means that for over 2 years the cat received the bare minimum of care - she was fed/watered and had her litter changed daily, but nothing more than that. My neighbor is actually scared of animals so she never pet or played with the cat, and left her outside from around 7am to 5pm every day. When I moved in I never saw a litterbox anywhere for her to use, so she was likely holding her eliminations until she was allowed inside.

I started taking care of the cat once I moved into my place and my neighbor eventually let me keep her, so long as she could still see the cat and make decisions about her health. She was adamant about this, so I agreed. My neighbor ended up moving out but still keeps in touch with us, and insisted she handle a recent vet visit (this happened last Tuesday). What she did was bring a male companion around 10am and have him (who the cat doesn't know) stuff her into a carrier. The cat was agitated and not brought home until past 5pm, meaning she was left at the vet for 7 hours.

She wasn't herself when she came back, and the first thing I noticed was that she started peeing much more frequently than normal. The day after the vet, she peed six times in 24 hours. The second day five times, the third day five times. The vet had cleared of her urinary issues and she wasn't showing any other UTI symptoms so I decided to take a wait and see approach. On the fourth and fifth days I was glued to her side or had my boyfriend, who she loves, watch her - she was never left by herself. Strangely enough, her peeing became perfectly normal on these days.

Yesterday was the fifth day, which was when I had to do things I'd put off while looking after her - I thought she would be fine because she had been doing so well. What seemed to happen though was that every time I would leave her for more than five minutes, she would end up visiting her box to do a small pee. What's worse, my old neighbor came to check on her - she hid under the bed the whole time, terrified, and peed after the neighbor left.

Since last night I have not left her side for more than a couple minutes at a time, and I noticed she stopped doing these tiny pees. She seems back to normal, again. Could the frequent peeing she's been doing this week be the result of anxiety? It seems like the frequent urinating would be fairly constant if it was a medical problem, but it seems to be triggered by stress.

I've read that anxious cats tend to pee on things and pee anywhere, but I also feel that my cat is too skittish to go anywhere but her box. I think this has something to do with having been terrorized by neighborhood cats for years and trying to minimize her scent markers.

Has anyone experienced excessive peeing with an anxious cat? I'm going to spend the next few days tending to her as much as possible to see if stress really is the trigger, since it seems the vet visit is what started this mess in the first place. I would really appreciate tips on how to keep her calm when I'm not in the room with her, because I think poor kitty believes I've abandoned her every time I leave.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think that you have hit the nail on the head. MAN, I hate that this poor girl has gone through all of this, but so thankful that she has landed in a soft place! Here's a very good article on separation anxiety, as well as several on stress, and a couple about shy and timid cats. It will look like a LOT of reading, but the articles are clear, concise, and full of information!

Separation Anxiety In Cats
Is Your Cat Stressed Out?
Potential Stressors In Cats - The Ultimate Checklist
Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats
16 Top Cat Experts Share Tips For Dealing With Timid Cats
10 Must-know Tips For Happy Living With A Shy Cat

Now, I would strongly suggest, for your cat's sake, not to tell the woman of any needed future vet trips. Just quietly take her yourself. She is, after all, your cat! Also, the next time you do, I would suggest spending the relatively small amount to get her microchipped, and IMMEDIATELY get your information entered with the company. Keep the receipt with the vet bill, if they are separate. I may be borrowing trouble, but this woman sounds as if she has an unhealthy attachment to a cat that she barely cared for when the cat lived with her. Should this woman decide that she wants to take the cat, that microchip and vet bill will go a LONG way to establishing ownership. I don't ususally go so far as recommending this, but I am this time. And begin slowly reducing the amount of access she has to the cat. This just doesn't sound healthy to me.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I really can't add much to Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 post. I'd just add that if there hasn't been a decrease in the peeing within the week you may want to have a follow up vet appointment (on your own). Just to make sure she didn't hold her bladder all day and trigger an infection of some sort.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Now, I would strongly suggest, for your cat's sake, not to tell the woman of any needed future vet trips. Just quietly take her yourself. She is, after all, your cat! Also, the next time you do, I would suggest spending the relatively small amount to get her microchipped, and IMMEDIATELY get your information entered with the company. Keep the receipt with the vet bill, if they are separate. I may be borrowing trouble, but this woman sounds as if she has an unhealthy attachment to a cat that she barely cared for when the cat lived with her. Should this woman decide that she wants to take the cat, that microchip and vet bill will go a LONG way to establishing ownership. I don't ususally go so far as recommending this, but I am this time. And begin slowly reducing the amount of access she has to the cat. This just doesn't sound healthy to me.
:yeah: I 100% agree. This is highly unusual for someone afraid of animals.

Oh, poor kitty! My instincts seem to agree with you that the frequent peeing is stress. Maybe you can call up the vet and ask about this behavior?

I got Olive under similar circumstances. Olive was kicked out of her first home because she "couldn't be litterbox trained" and so probably at a year of age or so became an outdoor kitty. When her owners moved away the neighbor fed and watered her, but that's about it. We moved into her original house and when our neighbor moved we took over her care. Just saying, she has never had a litterbox issue with us and is the most delightful cuddlebug. I understand the heartache of not being able to make up for the past neglect, and you are so awesome for taking in your new little kitty. I hope in time she can relax and realize that you will not abandon her. (Also a side note, the neighbor didn't move too far and we got one text asking how Olive was and then nothing. Your neighbor is acting highly strange).

Have you tried any calming products like Feliway diffusers, wipes or a calming collar? We use one on our anxious tabby Trin made by Sentry that has done wonders calming his separation anxiety. Just be careful as it is not a breakaway collar. It might also help to leave her something like an unwashed t-shirt so she can smell you while you are away. Also making sure she has enough toys, vertical spaces, trees and puzzle feeders could help reduce bored-oriented stress. Soft music in the background perhaps, or cat tv? Netflix has some cat-specific entertainment.

Also, pictures of your little cutie are always appreciated. What is her name?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

smosmosmo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for taking the time to post those links, Mamanyt! Some really useful tips in there :) And I would totally do what you're suggesting in a heartbeat (I'd abscond with her if I were moving), but this woman owns the building I live in. She has a long history of treating people poorly according to my neighbors, so I'm not surprised that she thinks she has cared adequately for the cat.

She is, to say the least, a piece of work lol. She scares the daylights out of the cat whenever she stops by to see her, and gets upset with me for not leaving her outside 24/7 "for exercise." Nevermind the stray cats, dogs and cars on the street, or the fact that she gets exercised indoors... I think her daughter has told her she wants the cat back at some point, hence the weird stipulations.

It's been three years since she "temporarily" rehomed the cat though so I don't see that happening ever. Still, she refuses to let go of her completely, which is bizarre to me - she would be better off with an owner that's actually cares about her well-being. I can tell she would be an unusually well-behaved cat if not for the separation anxiety - she's very smart, very quiet, doesn't bother anyone who's asleep, usually doesn't eat anything she shouldn't, has great litterbox habits. I wish we had found each other before she was made so anxious :(

And KarenKat, I'm so glad Olive found you. Sometimes they just need the right person to help them settle down.

I'm going to add Feliway diffusers to my next Chewy order for sure per your suggestion, so she can chill out a bit when we're away. What's frustrating though is that my kitty doesn't take interest in toys other than a very specific wand/ribbon toy with a little mouse attached to it. I've tried ball toys, plush catnip toys, light-up stuff, feathery things, etc. There are also high spots for her to perch but she seems neither to be a percher nor a burrower. She mainly seems interested in going outside to amuse herself, which isn't surprising as she has now spent most of her life partly outdoors. She's mainly interested in watching stuff go on outdoors or being with me or my boyfriend. I've tried cat TV too but she's not having it.

The good news though is that as the days go by she acts more and more like her old self! We have been spoiling her rotten and spending time with her 24/7, which seems to be putting her at ease. Since my last post a couple days ago her poops have been absolutely perfect and she has peed the normal amount. We're going to keep babying her the rest of the week and see if this keeps up, please send us good vibes!

Lastly, we call her Smo (hence my username). Here's one of her demanding attention on my computer desk a couple months ago:

Stinky.jpg

Resting next to her dad's foot yesterday:

927875634114269531.jpg

In bed this morning:

336629881655308276.jpg

We just love this little one so much :loveeyes::loveeyes::loveeyes:

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh she’s absolutely lovely. My favorite is the coquettish look she is giving in that first picture.

I’m glad she is feeling more at ease! Sounds like Smo found the right people too.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She's gorgeous! And a little flirt! I'm glad that she is relaxing again. I thought that she probably would, but...cats can be tricky.

Dang, I was hoping that I'd found an answer for you, but I'd still suggest slipping her out for a microchip and vet check that you have paperwork for. That will establish ownership, although I'd think about finding another place to live at some point, if that is feasible for you. I know how difficult that can be. The landlady does seem like a piece of work, and I imagine everyone breathed deeper when she moved.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd still suggest slipping her out for a microchip and vet check that you have paperwork for. That will establish ownership, although I'd think about finding another place to live at some point, if that is feasible for you.
I absolutely 150% agree.
it seems the vet visit is what started this mess in the first place.
...and your neighbor.

The problem is that your neighbor is going to decide that another vet visit is required, or a rehoming to someone else as you mentioned, or who knows what.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that things work out for you - don't let an overbearing (and some other things) person ruin this.

Oh, I was going to suggest that if she doesn't like catnip, you could try honeysuckle, and also there are real fur mice that she might like - try a classic and retro cat toy website Kats 'N Us - Cat Toys and Unique Gifts

smosmosmo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, very tricky - we're keeping a really close eye on her to make sure she's okay. Her mood seems to be improving constantly and she's even starting to finish her servings of wet food, which is huge! I've never seen her do that before.

And oh yeah, things are so much nice around here with the landlady gone. Smo was living with me for about a month before she moved, and she would invite herself over whenever she wanted to see her (i.e. yelling HELLO at her, clapping in her face, chasing her around and slapping at her tail - it was nuts). Smo and I are both much calmer without her around.

I wish moving was an option, but apart from the landlord the place and location are really nice, especially in my ludicrously expensive city. I just have my fingers crossed that she won't demand the cat back, since it's more convenient for her to have me take care of Smo - she was the one who suggested I keep her ("but not permanently"). I don't think she wanted a cat in the first place at all, and was only taking care of one at her daughter's insistence. The daughter also seems nuts from the sound of it, since she won't let go of a cat she doesn't want to raise...despite how hard this is on the cat. I can't believe Smo went TWO YEARS without cuddles, spending most of her day dodging other cats outside. It makes me really sad and it explains why she looks at me so plaintively every single time I leave the room. It's the cat equivalent of puppy eyes.

Furballsmom, thanks for the link! I already see a bunch of toys on there that look nothing like the selection on Chewy - I'll definitely check them out. I'm also thinking of building her a couple window perches soon as she absolutely loves spying on the neighbors lol.

Lately we are continuing to spoil her rotten - this is a photo of her looking smug on "her" bed today:

4705458498994030509.jpg

Lya

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well she seems indeed very anxious.

One of my cats became scared of anyone on my house but me after a couple of vet visits, she was always a nervous cat and I'm so weak to put her in the carrier so someone always helped me and she ended up fearing them (luckily not me). She doesn't pee but flees like she saw the devil himself, to the point that if she's sleeping on my bed and hears someone she will jump down or hide inside the covers. This eventually got better, a little slow since there is much mivement were I live, but I'm guessing since the visits from your neighbor are not that daily it will pass eventually. Be patient, otherwise maybe try some medicine to help relax her.

I really hope your neighbor won't visit again ;(

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OK...since I'm out of new ideas to solidify Smo's position in your household short of moving, I'll go to my fall back position, and light a candle for ALL of you! Either the landlady will "forget" that Smo is"her" cat, or you'll stumble across a perfect living situation, or something!

00000000000000000.jpeg

smosmosmo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you Mamanyt! Here's hoping! For now I'm going to give this little one all the love she deserves :heartshape: