Can Eden get some MEGA vibes?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh she doesn't get spayed until Tuesday (tomorrow). I won't be able to pick her up until Wed I think - trying to talk them into letting me pick her up Tues so I can watch her rather than leave her alone at the vet's office with no one watching her.

I dropped her off before work - she was hollering the entire time - so I got her out & hugged her. They all love her there.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I told them to call me - they usually do it when she starts to wake up....so around 3ish today I'm expecting a call.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She's back home & miserable. Her balance is still pretty off.
She also has yet another pretty nasty UTI....so another round of anti-biotics. She hiding/sleeping with her catnip banana at the foot of my bed under my blanket. Must be her safe place - that's where she had kittens & ruined my last blanket!

I keep telling her "no more babies for you my girl".

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Make up a couple of rice heaters or hot water bottles and keep her nice and warm, Nat. Anesthesia can lower the body temp and as long as she is cool, she won't eat and the antibiotics will make her nauseated. The resulting retching can tear the incision and well ... it just goes downhill from there. She has to have food on board with the antibiotics. The balance thing is from the ketamine (God I hate that stuff) and she will feel much better in a day or two after it leaves her system.

Did they give you anything for pain relief?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She got a pain injection today....supposed to watch her to see how she is tomorrow. Got the rice bags in her hidey hole already....had some made up from after her babies got fixed. Gonna let the 3 remaining kittens be with her supervised once she calms down - right now she's going ballistic.

I never even thought to ask about what anesthesia was used - they used gas for her given how her babies reacted & past health history, I believe.

ktlynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So glad to hear Eden's back home!!!

Since Eden's balance was off before the anesthesia, it may be awhile 'til you can tell if it's the same as it was before or not, especially since she may still be showing the effects of the anesthesia too.

I'm glad she got an injection of pain meds today, but I wish the vet had given you additional meds to administer at home for the next few days. I don't understand why some vets automatically do follow-up pain meds and others don't. Spaying is major surgery, and the pain meds help the cat heal by relieving the body of dealing with the stress of pain. We know how well cats "mask" pain and illness, so it's really difficult to tell sometimes if they're hurting. But with surgery, there is discomfort and pain.

I'm very happy that Eden got through the surgery ok. You must be so relieved! Sending lots of feel-better-soon wishes to your girl.