can dry FIP go into remission?

walden

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum but have read through some threads and found some great advice here.  I'm planning on calling my vet on Monday when he's open to talk with him, but would appreciate input from people with more experience with cats (my only other cat before this one died of old age at 19 and never went to the vet her entire life for anything except immunizations).

About 3 weeks ago, my 5-year old fur baby Walden was diagnosed with dry FIP.  I noticed way back in August that Walden was having trouble jumping up on things, and it got really bad about a month ago.  He started pulling himself up on the couch or the bed with his front legs, and towards the end of the week started walking with a hunched back and stopped trying to get up on anything.

I took him to the vet on a Monday (Nov. 10) and the vet gave him an antibiotic shot and took blood.  The vet noted his back leg muscles were extremely atrophied.   In the week that followed, Walden got really sick.  He had no energy, slept nearly all the time (a stark contrast to the energetic cat he's always been), didn't eat for several days, and didn't use the litter box in that time either.  He also could barely walk more than a few feet without having to lie down and his tail was limp and could barely move.  On Friday of that week (Nov. 14), I called the vet again and told him Walden wasn't doing well.  He told me his blood work had come back and his antibody titer count was very high - Walden had FIP and needed to be put down.  According to the vet, all the rest of the bloodwork was normal.

I said I wanted one more weekend with Walden and would make an appointment for PTS on Monday.  Over the weekend Walden started to eat and drink again and be interested in the world.  I decided I'd wait to see what happened and make the dreaded call if Walden stopped eating or appeared to be in pain.  That weekend, I bought some kitten milk and kitten food to help with his appetite (which Walden loves) and some senior cat vitamins (which Walden won't touch, even mixed with food), but other than that haven't provided any treatment for FIP because the vet didn't think any were viable options. 

Since then, Walden has improved significantly.  He's not 100%, but he's got a decent appetite again (he's never been a big eater), runs up and down the stairs, is awake and alert for much of the day, chases after toys and his brother, and his tail has a full range of motion again.  Today he started jumping up on (low) objects without using his front paws to claw himself up - the first time he's done this in at least a month. 

Apologies for the long post but I wanted to give background for my questions.  First, I was wondering if dry FIP can go into remission?  If so, is there anything I can do to help keep it in remission?  Unfortunately, I live in the US, so feline interferon is not a treatment option.  Second, I was wondering about the possibility of a misdiagnosis?  I'm trying not to hope too much, and to take every day that Walden is alive and happy with me as the miracle it is, but it's hard.  After doing research on dry FIP, I don't disagree with the vet's diagnosis of it, but it also seems hard to diagnose.  Has anyone had a cat mistakenly diagnosed with dry FIP?  What happened?  

Thanks in advance for any advice you all have.   

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
@Walden

FIP is a terrible diagnosis and i'm sorry for your news.  There is some support in the literature for brief remissions in dry forms of the illness, usually associated with supportive  care, see links below.  But none of the literature is very optimistic about long term remission, but they do discuss mis-diagnosis as being possible especially in the dry form.  I am also linking you to an article about an experimental treatment (called Polyprenyl immunostimulant (PI) for the dry form only which is suggestive of increased life span (not a cure) for some cats with FIP, but note all my qualifications, and also the skepticism in the literature itself.  More studies are needed,

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/FHC/health_resources/brochure_ftp.cfm

http://manhattancats.com/Articles/Feline_Infectious_Peritonitis.html

http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/ccah/research/fip_and_pi_info_page.cfm

Please keep us updated and good luck!

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry you and Walden are going through this.  From my recent personal experience with possible FIP, I would recommend seeing another vet! 

I have no respect for any vet who would proclaim your cat has FIP and say he needs to be put down. First of all, there's no test that will diagnose FIP. And second, it's not up to the vet to decide when you make that decision. That is between you and whatever your heart tells you.  I hope you will consider another vet for Walden before you make any decisions.  Did the vet take his temperature?  What was it?  Did he do a blood panel first or just go right to the titer?  Did he do Xrays?  Did he prescribe any Mirtazapine to help stimulate Walden's appetite?

If you have looked at my recent thread about Darcy, you will see what we have been going through.  My vet said all that titer test could tell them was that she was exposed to the corona virus, but there were other signs that could possibly point to FIP.  She was very clear that she was NOT diagnosing her with FIP and that there is no test to prove FIP.  Apparently, the wet kind is evident and they don't last long with that, but the dry is harder.  So far Darcy has had blood tests, XRays, titer test, specialized blood tests, ultrasound, and waiting on results of lab test on fluid in her abdomen.  When we got Darcy, she was a playful, energetic 7 month old.  She went from that to not quite so energetic, to sleeping all the time, trouble using the litter box, etc., pretty quickly.  That was over a weekend, and come Monday we took her to the vet.  Very high fever, started her on antibiotics and did a blood panel.  And it went from there.  Right now she's on antibiotics and Prednisolone.  She's eating fine, using litter box fine, still missing the energy level, but not lethargic, just not bouncing around like she was.  We don't know what is wrong with her, but if it turns out it is FIP, we are intending to make her as happy as we can for whatever she has left. If it isn't FIP, we're hoping the vet can figure out what it is and there is a treatment.

I know that my vet would not ever recommend putting down a cat if she felt there was something more that could be done.  Right up until the very end for my Cindy, she was still trying to find ways help.  Any vet who told me to put down my cat for any reason, I would be out of there on a run and never look back.

In any case, you aren't alone going through something like this, if that helps.  If you need to talk, feel free to PM me.  Good luck to you and Walden, I've said a prayer.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

walden

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
StephenQ - thank you for the links!  I've read the first two, but didn't stumble across the last one on my own and will be sure to ask the vet (or the new vet, as the case may be) about PI as a possible treatment of Walden's symptoms.  I didn't post until yesterday and am still trying hard not to have unwarranted hope, but Wally is still doing really well. 

I tried calling the vet today, but got no response even though he was in and the office was open.  I live in a relatively small town, so vet options are limited.  Still, if I don't get in contact with the vet on Monday I will try to get in touch with another vet.  The one I currently have came recommended from the local cat rescue, and after doing my own independent research based on the information the vet gave me, I cannot fault him for the diagnosis he gave - it seems like a very logical one, and his suggestion of no treatment and putting my baby down was based on Wally's condition at the time (I actually asked Wally one morning if it was time because he was so lethargic and sick) and likely a desire to save me money.  Wally was so sick the week of his diagnosis for FIP that I seriously considered putting him down that day, and it's only weeks later that he's thriving and seemingly healthy that I can be truly grateful I didn't put him down.  I'd pay whatever it takes to make this boy healthy, but if he's suffering without any hope of a cure, I want to have the strength to make his passing quick and peaceful.    Thankfully, at the moment, he doesn't appear to be suffering at all, and I'm so grateful for that.

Also, thank you Misty8723 for your advice and your prayers.  I'm so sorry to hear about your Darcy.  She's in my thoughts and prayers as well.  It's so hard to have a young cat with unanswered medical problems.  All I can think of is how unfair it is that these sweethearts have to suffer this way.

To answer your questions - Walden had a complete blood panel done and the FCoV titer antibody was the only abnormal component of the CBC with a very high antibody titer count.  The vet didn't tell me if Walden was running a temperature but I assume he was since the vet gave him a shot of antibiotics "in case it's a bacterial infection".  No X-Rays or medicine were given - all of Walden's improved appetite is due to him fighting whatever's wrong with him and possibly due to a change in diet to high-calorie kitten food.  My friends who've seen him in the last week can't believe he's supposed to be dying and I'm having a hard time believing that as well given how well he's doing.  He's my baby who I raised from a bottle when I found him stuck in a wall with no mom in sight at 5 weeks of age, and i don't know what I'll do without him. 

Thank you both for your insight and for your information.  I'll keep you updated as I find out more about Walden's condition.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Walden - I didn't mean to be so hasty with my recommendation of a new vet, without knowing all the facts.  Darcy was sick like that when we first took her in, lethargic, not eating, etc., but no mention was made of putting her down, and I don't really approve of vets saying that is the only option.  And the fact that Walden has improved is proof to me that we shouldn't be too hasty.  I don't know enough about FIP despite what I've read.  All I know is that my vet and another person who runs a cat shelter told me that "FIP cats don't get better."  There are other blood tests you can do, but I can't remember what they are called.  The one we did, that came back (potentially) negative was around $150.  The other one was more like $250 and took several weeks to come back.  It's unfortunate someone can't come up with a test for FIP, but I'm glad that my vet is also looking at other possible causes for Darcy.  My continued prayers to you and your Walden, that he continues to improve, and that it is just some sort of infection.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

walden

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update on Walden - an FIP diagnosis with a rare happy ending!

I took Walden to a new vet today after his health has steadily improved for over a month.  I called the original vet to ask him about Walden's improvement and he pretty much brushed me off, so I decided to seek a second diagnosis elsewhere.

The new vet did a neurological exam on him and said, flat out, Walden is no longer sick.  He's active, has a good appetite, and no more muscle atrophy or lack of coordination  in his hind legs.  She agreed that the original vet's diagnosis was a very reasonable one given Walden's blood work and symptoms, but said that neither she nor any of her colleagues have ever heard of an FIP cat recovering or even going into remission to the extent that he no longer displays any sign of sickness, and so at this point she doubts that he had FIP.  She suspects he had either a mild spinal injury (he's always been a bit of a crazy cat) or a non-FIP infection that he's since recovered from with rest and care, and said that since he's no longer showing any signs of neurological problems, it wasn't worth the stress to draw CSF to test it.

Really grateful and happy for his diagnosis (or lack thereof!), and really like this new vet, not just because she gave me the answers I was hoping to (but was not sure I would) get, but mostly because she took the time to answer my questions and even promised to do more research and consult with FIP experts outside of the state of Alaska to see if there are any other cases like this and update me on her findings.

Thanks again StephenQ and Misty for you advice and support.  I hope that one day a cure can be found for FIP, and I'll definitely be making a donation towards FIP research in the near future.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad to hear Walden is better!  I've heard that FIP is often misdiagnosed, and it seems like the improvement you see is very good news!

vicki3034

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm glad Walden is doing well.  I wondered about remission or if diet, etc. could help certain diagnoses.  I have a kitten that got really sick when she was 6 months old.  One day she made a loud wailing noise and then threw up big time.  I took her to the vet and they gave her an antibiotic shot that is supposed to last 2 weeks.  After a couple of days she was back to normal and everything seemed fine.  A few weeks later it happened again only this time she was laying down and shivering as if she were freezing but her body was extremely warm - actually kind of hot compared to her normal warmth.  I took her to the vet again and since it was her second time and being so young they took some blood and ran test for the 3 biggies that you never want to hear your animal has.  The results came back with a low reading for Corona Virus.  Even though that was the least serious of the 3 (but could get worse), I felt like someone had just punched me in the gut.

I have two kittens from the same litter and the other one didn't exhibit any issues at all.  Both kittens were on Science Diet (ok food but not great).  Once I got the diagnosis I started reading up on cat foods and read the pros and cons of all of them.  The best one I could find (even though some people had negative things to say) was Blue Buffalo.  I did an immediate switch a couple of days after the second visit to the vet.  They got Blue Buffalo dry food and once a day they got Blue Buffalo canned food.  I also started giving the one kitten Lysine chewables every day.  In addition to Blue canned food, I also give them Wellness Core, Royal Canin and Organix - mixing it up with most of their diet being Blue Buffalo.  Within 2 days after the second visit, she did a 180.  Her symptoms went away and she started becoming the kitten she was when I first got her. Her spunk and energy were back and almost 4 months later she has not been back to the vet for any illnesses.  My kittens are on a strict schedule of feeding and when the one gets her Lysine.  Also, I purchased them a drinking fountain to keep up their hydration just in case.  My cats really enjoy it and because the water is constantly running it always stays cool.

I cannot tell you how well she is doing, not to mention her coat is absolutely gorgeous - lush, silky and shiny.  I beileve her diet has truly helped with whatever she had and since the readings were low and hopefully caught early enough I have been able to get her as healthy as possible.  I'm not fooling myself to think it can't come back since they say once they have it they will always have it, but my hopes are high because she is doing outstanding.

Not to mention a little prayer always helps.