Can Diet Cause Black Stool?

wera

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat has kidney stone only he is doing fine active, playful, has good appetite. No vomiting or anything abnormal. No diarrhea just normal formed stool. He is taking medication for dissolving of stones he is improving and has gained weight has good coat. Also before, I gave him a certain brand of wet food and his stool turn black then I switched him to fancy feast back then then his story became brown. He is just currently in renal diet hill's k/d and royal canin renal both wet food. Can this cause black stool? His k/d food is dark color pate

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OK, I dug around a bit and found this article, which seems to be very good.
My indoor cat is vomiting and has dark stools.

I do know that blood will make the stool dark, but it almost always has a "tarry" appearance, and you say that the stool is normal in consistency, it is just very dark. I'd give the vet a call and ask about this. I'm inclined to think that it is the diet, but let's not take a chance!

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I know that when I changed my animals' (dogs and cats both) to a grain free diet, their stool is a very dark brown, almost black sometimes. My cat eats mostly wet food and some grain free food and her stool is well formed but dark. I just got a new cat and he ate like Kit and Kaboodle or something and his poop is very light. I don't have any of his old food, so I'm feeding him the grain free now. He has loose stool but I expect it will turn dark now too.

MistyDawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Absolutely. I fed my cats a black kibble, Instinct Low Ingredient Rabbit, I believe, and everyone had black poop.

If it isn't tarry, you needn't feel sorry. :)

sharey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Ragdoll has dark brown mixed with very dark brown / almost black. Consistency is normal.

She goes #2 about once per day.
Her diet is 1 can of marinated morsels (beef) per day and open feeding IAMS indoor proactive health.

She’s 4 years old and is playful and active when not sleeping.

My vet once said that you can reconstitute their waste in water, I’m not sure if red will show up if there is blood in that case or what. Something you can look into.

I think she’s ok, just posting info for others.

Last edited: