Can certain foods make your cat upset/angry?

CityCatMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My older cat usually eats prescription C/D wet and dry food (she has had urinary issues in the past, so we have been feeding her this diet for about 3 years now). She has always been a bit grumpy. Since we got the younger cat, we have been doing a mix of prescription + non-prescription (high quality) wet food and prescription dry food for them both. I have noticed that whenever we feed the older cat the non-prescription wet food she is less grumpy and disgruntled/is not "triggered" by our young cat as easily vs when we feed her the wet prescription food, she becomes easily upset right after a feeding, especially if anyone goes too close to her.

Can food really be affecting her mood so much? We also give her CBD extract oil (as directed by our vet), which has definitely helped her anxiety, but I notice an even greater improvement (from observation) with the non-prescription wet food vs the prescription C/D wet food; she seems less irritable when eating the non-prescription food.

Last edited:

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
I would think that like humans, maybe certain things in it can affect moods maybe? But i'd talk to the vet D:

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This is only anecdotal evidence, but when I was trying out different proteins with Neko-chan, the one time I tried venison, she hissed at it and ran away. She wouldn't come near me until I gave her something else.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think its more if they don't like it, or if it makes them not feel well then of course they will be cranky. Prescription food has a ton of fillers and crap in it so it might be upsetting her tummy some. The dry is just as bad but if you can't just do wet food, just do the dry prescription food (and only for the cat who needs it not the one who doesn't) and do the high quality wet food. :)

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
We had a cat that would get super grumpy with a food change. He would stall off, hit the other cat and be really mad.

But I think it was more that he expected a tastier thing and we swapped it, rather than the food chemistry making him grumpy