Can cats track someone down?

straysmommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There's a semi-stray in this apt building, he's been here for like 3-4 years, on the low roofs outside the ground floor and getting inside when the weather is cold, wandering the stairs up and down, and sleeping on the underground floors where nobody ever goes. I've taken to feeding and pampering her, I sit with her every day, give her treats, make sure she's always contented with food, water and shelter, etc.

Yesterday I had minor surgery and felt sick all day, too sick to even call for help to feed my cats, so I was only able to drag myself out of bed in the middle of the night to feed them (it had never happened before). When I opened the door of my apt in a hurry to go downstairs to feed her, I found her on the other side of my door. I thought wow! what a coincidence that she was just passing by my door when I opened it! With 8 floors, what are the chances of that happening?! But the super believes she tracked down my apt and was waiting outside my door. Could something like that happen? I know they have a strong sense of smell, but she had never been in my apt...

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She doesnt ever need to have seen your apt before, your smell is imprinted on everything you pass by. You touch your door handle to get in, right? Your hands are covered in oil, which deposits on anything you touch, and also has a very strong smell to animals.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

straysmommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow! I had been hoping that one day, maybe years from now, I'd be able to bring her up to my apt somehow, and she beat me to it big time!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was going to joke and say "Only at supper time" but the cat proved it true. Food is an amazing motivator for a cat - sometimes being the only thing some cats really respond to.

You weren't there for feeding time so she took it upon herself to correct that matter.
It really sounds like she wants to be your kitty, too.

Just don't look for cats to replace dogs in seach and rescue - a cat just couldn't be bothered even with such good noses that they have.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

straysmommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
LOL

She wasn't hungry, though. I found her kibble still in her bowl downstairs later. And she didn't eat her kibble at my door either. But she did eat all the chicken breast cold cuts and milk I put down for her as a guest to my home. Who knows...she lets me go after her all the time, pretends indifference, then when I disappear for a while, she'll be a lot less indifferent to me when I come back (even if she's eaten). I read someone mention this on another thread, that cats can get into this "pursue me" attittude if we're too attentive.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by straysmommy

But she did eat all the chicken breast cold cuts and milk I put down for her as a guest to my home.
I wouldn't eat kibble if I could have that, either.
No more regular milk, if that's what you're using. Cats are normally lactose intolerant. Low lactose or lactose free milks are fine.

And it's really not all just about food with cats. They're very much an animal of routine. You didn't show for meal time like you were supposed to so she sniffed you out. I wouldn't say she knew something was wrong with you so much, but she certainly knew the routine wasn't correct.

Is she (you are sure it's a she, correct?) spay, yet? If not you need to see to that, and getting her vaccinated. It sounds like you're attached and making sure she's vetted will also help protect her. Even better would be for you to keep her in.