Can cats eat raw fish (sashimi from restaurant)?

nausicaa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm Canadian but currently living in the U.S.
I don't know, I trust my sushi chef, I guess. I know there have been outbreaks of people getting poisoned by bad fish, though.

I guess it depends on whether the OP got his fish from a reputable source.

ETA: Oh, point taken on the lox. Darn, I guess that means ceviche isn't techically raw neither.

goo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If I happen to have fresh or sashimi grade salmon I will cut a little bit and give them as a treat, nothing happen so far.

kalikat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I read years ago that too much fish is bad for cats. My cousin's husband used to be a fisherman & they had lots of cats that always got fresh, raw mullet when he came home to clear his nets. Once, while there my cousin happened to say that she wondered what was wrong with the cats eyes, some of them had glassy, weepy eyes. I told her what I'd read about too much fish for cats but didn't know what it did to them. I don't know if they cut down on the fish or not as soon after they separated.
I've since read on the net about cats having too much fish being no good for them. It mentioned what types, but can't remember.
I have a number of books written by vets that advocate raw feeding, mainly raw meaty bones, including raw fish.
You only have to put RMB into your search engine to get lots of info on natural feeding & what's wrong with feeding processed pet food.

linus4lola

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I'm sure if people are eating raw fish, the cats can
Personally I don't think anyone (people or pets) should be eating raw fish

So Sharky, if the fish is unsafe for cats, wouldn't it be unsafe for humans?????
Not necessarily. While I certainly don't have the scientifically accurate answer to this inquiry, the digestive system of cats is entirely different from that of human beings. This is why a raw diet is safe for cats and dogs and NOT safe for us people. Their digestive tract clears itself much faster than humans.

That having been said, I would be concerned about the possibility of bacteria and parasites AND the fact that cats are not meant to be eating fish in the first place. It is not something that would ever be in their natural diet.

new kittenmom

The princess of sniffles
Young Cat
Purraise
I prepare and eat Sashimi and Poke regularly and often times share some with my cat. If you are concerned about the risk for parasites or worms, try to buy fish that has been frozen, ideally at -31 degrees fahrenheit. This kills all potential parasites and makes it safe for humans to eat so good for cats too. Also, stick to tuna and farm raised salmon. Those fish have far less risk. Clean knives are also a must. It's all about the preparation and your cat will love the treat!

2ketzels

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
they SHOULD NOT ... Parasites and bacteria
RE: sashimi. i have been studying/learning about Japanese cuisine for the last 2 years but i have been eating sashimi since the 1980's but only in true Japanese restaus, NOT sushi houses.

my research has led me to understand that there are 3 keys to eating sashimi-grade fish:
1. for buying your own frozen 'sashimi tuna/salmon' buy ONLY from a reputable Japanese grocery, not from an other oriental grocery, just to be safe. Japanese "sashimi grade" undergoes a special process.
2. i have been eating sashimi since the 1980's but ONLY in true Japanese restaus, NOT sushi houses. the japanese are extremely picky about the health of their food and its preparation; thus, they are to be trusted, that is what i have found.
3. another key element: eat sashimi WITH wasabi and pickled ginger. these condiments are meant to ensure there are no bacterial probs, kind of like the Greeks who insist on lemon everywhere.

REMEMBER: the kind of raw fish sold in general stores is NOT suitable for human edification & has not been treated to become "sashimi grade".

Vega's Dad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I eat raw fish, a lot, mainly salmon but also others. I bought them from grocery stores.
Vega doesn't like fish. Maybe she's asking wasabi and soy sauce as well? :p

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Eh, I eat grocery store/buffet sushi all the time, haven't died yet :tongue:. I'm pretty sure any ocean fish around here had to be flash frozen so I figure that takes care of the parasites. The only thing that ever gave me food poisoning was sliced deli turkey :/.

Anyway I don't share it with the cats but I don't think a small amount would hurt them.

2ketzels

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I eat raw fish, a lot, mainly salmon but also others. I bought them from grocery stores.
Vega doesn't like fish. Maybe she's asking wasabi and soy sauce as well? :p
i like your sense of humour but i, too, have eaten raw tuna from "just a grocery store" & then have wondered why, all night, i had a tummy ache. maybe you have an exceptional constitution but i am in my 60's (does that matter?) & find that i can only rely on truly Japanese raw fish. the Japanese are very strict - MORE than strict - about eating standards, even far above how we eat. READ:
Hiroko SHIMBO "The Japanese Kitchen" - it's quite extensive & great reading!

2ketzels

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i like your sense of humour but i, too, have eaten raw tuna from "just a grocery store" & then have wondered why, all night, i had a tummy ache. maybe you have an exceptional constitution but i am in my 60's (does that matter?) & find that i can only rely on truly Japanese raw fish. the Japanese are very strict - MORE than strict - about eating standards, even far above how we eat. READ:
Hiroko SHIMBO "The Japanese Kitchen" - it's quite extensive & great reading!
p.s. i'm from Toronto, which is no small town but still, one needs to see carefully where one eats & what. no matter where i have travelled, throughout the world, i always inspect the kitchen.

i believe in maximum health; i am interested in quality not quantity....perhaps in many things.
i truly believe that "the body is the temple" & try to treat it accordingly. (BTW this has nothing to do with any religion)

2ketzels

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I prepare and eat Sashimi and Poke regularly and often times share some with my cat. If you are concerned about the risk for parasites or worms, try to buy fish that has been frozen, ideally at -31 degrees fahrenheit. This kills all potential parasites and makes it safe for humans to eat so good for cats too. Also, stick to tuna and farm raised salmon. Those fish have far less risk. Clean knives are also a must. It's all about the preparation and your cat will love the treat!
i quite agree...thank you for your reply :)

Vega's Dad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
p.s. i'm from Toronto, which is no small town but still, one needs to see carefully where one eats & what. no matter where i have travelled, throughout the world, i always inspect the kitchen.

i believe in maximum health; i am interested in quality not quantity....perhaps in many things.
i truly believe that "the body is the temple" & try to treat it accordingly. (BTW this has nothing to do with any religion)
My body is a club! ;)

2ketzels

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ha - ha! i didn't realise that was a 'manly' joke. no, i'm not a Buddhist but i do believe the body is to be respected -- even my kitties' bodies -- at the age of 10. they may have "senior problems" which i am not aware of. i await the blood tests today. and..... i wonder about what the Vet said, that "Boy" needs grains - what kind of grains? i have always fed him wet foods. the blood tests should show if he has an allergy to chicken/beef or maybe even fish.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Raw salmon is fine for cats. Raw tuna is not safe for cats. Before feeding raw fish, check the list of fish which contain thiaminase and make sure to only feed fish which do not contain the enzyme.

Thiaminase containing fish are also not great for "human temples or clubs". :p

2ketzels

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Raw salmon is fine for cats. Raw tuna is not safe for cats. Before feeding raw fish, check the list of fish which contain thiaminase and make sure to only feed fish which do not contain the enzyme.

Thiaminase containing fish are also not great for "human temples or clubs". :p
i see. i'll have to look into thiaminase - esp since i am highly impressed by the fact that the Japanese live into their 100's and seem to be the healthiest on the planet!