Can cats drink milk?

Winston¡Seven

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat always jumps on the table and looks at me curiously whenever I drink milk. Sometimes, when I'm not paying attention, he even licks the leftover milk from the cup. But I'm not sure if it's okay to give him milk. Can someone please advise me?🤔

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
No they cannot

Are cats lactose intolerant?
Cats are incapable of properly processing and breaking down lactose within their bodies, making them severely lactose intolerant.
Lactose is a type of sugar commonly found in dairy milk. Its enzymes can't be broken down in a cat's stomach, causing a variety of gastrointestinal issues.
If your cat has milk, it will begin to experience a variety of symptoms as a result of the lactose, which we will describe this below. With that in mind, cats will react differently cat-to-cat. Some will process it better, some worse, and others may experience worsening lactose intolerance as they age.
While the symptoms experienced due to lactose intolerance are generally pretty mild, they can become more serious if lactose is consumed regularly. As a result, it is best to be careful.
Copy/pasted

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winston¡Seven

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No they cannot

Are cats lactose intolerant?
Cats are incapable of properly processing and breaking down lactose within their bodies, making them severely lactose intolerant.
Lactose is a type of sugar commonly found in dairy milk. Its enzymes can't be broken down in a cat's stomach, causing a variety of gastrointestinal issues.
If your cat has milk, it will begin to experience a variety of symptoms as a result of the lactose, which we will describe this below. With that in mind, cats will react differently cat-to-cat. Some will process it better, some worse, and others may experience worsening lactose intolerance as they age.
While the symptoms experienced due to lactose intolerance are generally pretty mild, they can become more serious if lactose is consumed regularly. As a result, it is best to be careful.
Copy/pasted
Alright, thank you. I'll take note of this issue. He's really a poor guy, unable to appreciate the taste of milk.😩

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This actually has me wondering about yogurt I have looked into it just to see if I could give her a little taste if she wanted it. It said if it was non fat plain yogurt it is fine. Also it can't contain xylitol... how can a cat have yogurt but not milk I've been wondering this for a while

Winston¡Seven

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This actually has me wondering about yogurt I have looked into it just to see if I could give her a little taste if she wanted it. It said if it was non fat plain yogurt it is fine. Also it can't contain xylitol... how can a cat have yogurt but not milk I've been wondering this for a while
If possible, that would be really great. It's so adorable to see Butter eagerly looking at me while I hold the milk. I would love to give him a little bit as well.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If possible, that would be really great. It's so adorable to see Butter eagerly looking at me while I hold the milk. I would love to give him a little bit as well.
There is no benefit to it and I don't recommend this...
I drink almond milk and give my girl a tiny lick like a couple teaspoons not often but sometimes..

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have done maybe a teaspoon at a time of lactose free milk. It is basically just regular milk but has lactase in it. That's how they make those cat milks at the pet store. Generally though, not worth risking tummy troubles!

Winston¡Seven

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There is no benefit to it and I don't recommend this...
I drink almond milk and give my girl a tiny lick like a couple teaspoons not often but sometimes..
Alright, I reckon it’s time for me to gather some information about whether or not my cat might have an issue with lactose intolerance. If my veterinarian assures me that there’s no such problem, I’ll consider giving him a taste of it.

Winston¡Seven

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have done maybe a teaspoon at a time of lactose free milk. It is basically just regular milk but has lactase in it. That's how they make those cat milks at the pet store. Generally though, not worth risking tummy troubles!
I see, but there are very few people who can resist his irresistible pleading expression.😆

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
They should also not have cows yogurt. They cannot process the lactose.

It's like how someone whose mildly lactose intolerant could have yogurt and be okay but not milk...there's probiotics in it.

I don't know why you would have to do non-fat though.

Yogurt, also is high in calcium and over time a cat can develop calcium stones. I used to let Nobel taste things like that and that's what started his Urinary issues.... calcium stones. And then he had FLUTD afterwards which was an ongoing issue for years.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They should also not have cows yogurt. They cannot process the lactose.

It's like how someone whose mildly lactose intolerant could have yogurt and be okay but not milk...there's probiotics in it.

I don't know why you would have to do non-fat though.

Yogurt, also is high in calcium and over time a cat can develop calcium stones. I used to let Nobel taste things like that and that's what started his Urinary issues.... calcium stones. And then he had FLUTD afterwards which was an ongoing issue for years.
I don't give her any yogurt. Once in a blue moon I will give her like 2 teaspoons of almond milk but that isn't even often..

I've never given her yogurt even after reading that they can (as long as it is plain non fat without xylitol) because I don't trust the theory that they can have it..

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
For the most part cow milk will just cause digestive upset, but as mentioned it can vary from cat to cat, some handle it better then others. Cats, like most animals, lose their ablity to digest lactose in the milk as they grow up, humans are an odd exception where a lot of people can still drink milk into adulthood. If it's just an accidental lick of milk from time to time it shouldn't cause any real issues if it hasn't already.
If you want to get something you can give him though grocery stores and pet stores sell cat milk, like Whiskas Catmilk and PetAg Catsip, most cats seem to be ok with those as a occasional treat since it has the lactose removed. You can store it in the fridge once open and just give a little bit at a time if you want, like when you get a glass of milk give him some of the cat milk.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've never given her yogurt even after reading that they can (as long as it is plain non fat without xylitol) because I don't trust the theory that they can have it..
I still don't understand why non fat is specified in the theory. 😂 I've never heard anything about non fat or low fat in relation to cats. Certainly sounds like human nonsense theory to me.

Xylitol I understand as it's deadly.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I still don't understand why non fat is specified in the theory. 😂 I've never heard anything about non fat or low fat in relation to cats. Certainly sounds like human nonsense theory to me.

Xylitol I understand as it's deadly.
ANYONE READING THIS I AM NOT RECOMMENDING TO GIVE YOUR CAT YOGURT JUST SHOWING WHAT I SAW WHICH MAKES NO SENSE..... I AM NOT SAYING YOGURT IS OK AT ALL.. IF YOU READ THIS AND DECIDE TO GIVE YOUR KITTY YOGURT CONSULT YOUR VET FIRST FOR THE SAKE OF YOUR FUR BABY.

Right I don't understand it at all I don't trust it at all IT'S ALL LIES hahahaha

Attachments

Last edited:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Better safe than sorry. I do remember reading something that lactose intolerant people should have nonfat milk,why I don't know. but it may not be true for cats

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Better safe than sorry. I do remember reading something that lactose intolerant people should have nonfat milk,why I don't know. but it may not be true for cats
Right. I don't trust it at all.. I'm mildly lactose intolerant I can have a very little milk but if I drink like a half of a small cup I feel nauseous. I don't like milk much anyway so I just get almond milk and I love it.
But yea I definitely do not trust it at all it doesn't make sense to me how that would be ok for a lactose intolerant kitty.
That is why I put that message in bold..

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I see, but there are very few people who can resist his irresistible pleading expression.😆
My cats get raw goats milk, and they really like it. My Grandparents had a farm and the cats drank fresh milk straight from the cow every single day and were only healthier for it, but there is a big difference between that and grocery store milk.
Winston¡Seven Winston¡Seven have you looked into this?
https://www.chewy.com/honest-kitche...cH8OH763aC4Mmnrj8AiWCk1QNQ5PPCT4aAjdEEALw_wcB
It's powdered goats milk, just add warm water. This would be really nice because the powdered version is much more shelf stable and a canister would last one cat a long time if you're just offering this as a little treat, vs. a ready-to-serve formula that needs to be used up within a week or so!

Winston¡Seven

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cats get raw goats milk, and they really like it. My Grandparents had a farm and the cats drank fresh milk straight from the cow every single day and were only healthier for it, but there is a big difference between that and grocery store milk.
Winston¡Seven Winston¡Seven have you looked into this?
https://www.chewy.com/honest-kitchen-goats-milk-probiotics/dp/350598?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=12868337478&utm_content=The Honest Kitchen&utm_term=&gclid=Cj0KCQjwiIOmBhDjARIsAP6YhSV7zJcaI95c78y8beYEtg_cH8OH763aC4Mmnrj8AiWCk1QNQ5PPCT4aAjdEEALw_wcB
It's powdered goats milk, just add warm water. This would be really nice because the powdered version is much more shelf stable and a canister would last one cat a long time if you're just offering this as a little treat, vs. a ready-to-serve formula that needs to be used up within a week or so!
Thank you for the recommendation. If my veterinarian tells me that my cat can have a moderate amount of goat’s milk, I will purchase this goat milk powder for him to try. It would be absolutely wonderful to think that it could work out. 😸

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you for the recommendation. If my veterinarian tells me that my cat can have a moderate amount of goat’s milk, I will purchase this goat milk powder for him to try. It would be absolutely wonderful to think that it could work out. 😸
My vet did approve a bit of goats yoghurt for Magnus after a round of antibiotics. That's what I usually have (goats dairy, if any dairy) as I am mildly lactose intolerant myself. We shared 😸