Can cats delay birth?

mrs_frenchie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat appears to be in the first stage of labor. She seems drawn towards nesting in two unsafe for kitten spots so we have set her up in our bathroom. I’m the only one who uses it so it’s a quiet place for her. She’s not the biggest fan of the set up and tries to run out when you open the door. I can’t seem to find any info, but I’m wondering if she can/will delay her labor until she can get to the place she wants to have them. One place can be made safe, but the other one can’t at all and access to one means access to the other.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She could be stressed by being where she doesn't want to be and that might delay birthing - or she just isn't quite ready. What would it take for you to find a way to prevent access to the one location that is not safe? Is there a doorway/entry point between the two that could be blocked by putting up some type of temporary barrier? Maybe take a look at some barrier examples in the TCS introducing cats article (link below) that discusses blockades to see if those might give you some ideas. The barrier examples are under the "Visual Desensitization' section.
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What about a bedroom closet? It would give her privacy and access to the bedroom if she wants to take a break. I did that with a pregnant cat and it worked out well. I put her food, water, and litter nearby outside the closet and she happily nested.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrs_frenchie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She could be stressed by being where she doesn't want to be and that might delay birthing - or she just isn't quite ready. What would it take for you to find a way to prevent access to the one location that is not safe? Is there a doorway/entry point between the two that could be blocked by putting up some type of temporary barrier? Maybe take a look at some barrier examples in the TCS introducing cats article (link below) that discusses blockades to see if those might give you some ideas. The barrier examples are under the "Visual Desensitization' section.
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles
Thanks. The fixable space is in our closet, the unfixable space is under our bed. There is a hole in our box spring so she literally climbs into our bed. If we allow her access to the closet, then she has access to the bed. I will have to see if we can try and figure something out though. She’s a first time mama and I don’t want her stressed for sure!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My cat appears to be in the first stage of labor. She seems drawn towards nesting in two unsafe for kitten spots so we have set her up in our bathroom. I’m the only one who uses it so it’s a quiet place for her. She’s not the biggest fan of the set up and tries to run out when you open the door. I can’t seem to find any info, but I’m wondering if she can/will delay her labor until she can get to the place she wants to have them. One place can be made safe, but the other one can’t at all and access to one means access to the other.
You had got some suggestion to find a sound compromise.

To your question. I myself havend found sure examples of cats being able to delay delivery, but its an old picture they can in some degree, yes. So I wont deny this.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ps. That said, your set up is surely adequate, but if she doesnt fancy this so she doesnt fancy this....

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

mrs_frenchie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have done what we can to make the space as safe as possible for her and spent the morning in it with her and she keeps going back into the bathroom. It seems she likes that space more than I thought and just wanted to be with us maybe! Her behaviour is changing again so hopefully things are moving in the right direction!! Thanks for your help with this! I’m sure I’ll be back with more questions as this is our first litter!!!

mrs_frenchie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just to update, there were no kittens to be had! Our Jonesy had a phantom pregnancy and is very much in heat again! She will be getting booked into the vet as soon as we can to be spayed!! Thanks for all of your help, both on my post and the hundreds of others I spent the last two months reading!!!

Attachments