Can Cats Become Depressed?

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
I heard that cats with CRF have increased thirst, lethargy/sleeping a lot, & lip licking so that's what scares me a lot. But the vet went over everything with me & said his numbers were all within normal ranges. It isn't likely that the tests were wrong, right?
The tests are likely fine.  A botched test is not going to show normal ranges for everything, it's going to have very weird results.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

merlotandasti

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone. It turns out that Asti had a partial bowel obstruction, bladder stones, & a uti. He didn't show any symptoms of any of these things until Saturday when I noticed him straining & rushed him to the vet. The obstruction is now gone & things are moving through. As far as the stones, he has always been prone to them & the food he was on was supposed to disolve the stones, but it turns out that it didnt. He's now on the correct food & I'm watching him very carefully in case of a blockage. For the UTI, the vet gave him a convenia antibiotic shot. At the time, I wasn't aware of how harmful the shot can be, but I'm hoping he doesn't have any problems. He's on a currently on a laxative & anti nausea medicine. He's having trouble sleeping lately & twitches a lot as he sleeps. This isn't a bad sign, right? He has always twitched when he was in a deep sleep but lately he wakes up from it. I figure he's just very uncomfortable so any little thing can wake him.

The vet sounded very positive & I've asked several questions to her. Does anyone have any input or have had a similar experience? I just want to make sure this behavior is normal for a cat with these problems.

Last edited:

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hey everyone. It turns out that Asti had a partial bowel obstruction, bladder stones, & a uti. He didn't show any symptoms of any of these things until Saturday when I noticed him straining & rushed him to the vet. The obstruction is now gone & things are moving through. As far as the stones, he has always been prone to them & the food he was on was supposed to disolve the stones, but it turns out that it didnt. He's now on the correct food & I'm watching him very carefully in case of a blockage. For the UTI, the vet gave him a convenia antibiotic shot. At the time, I wasn't aware of how harmful the shot can be, but I'm hoping he doesn't have any problems. He's on a currently on a laxative & anti nausea medicine. He's having trouble sleeping lately & twitches a lot as he sleeps. This isn't a bad sign, right? He has always twitched when he was in a deep sleep but lately he wakes up from it. I figure he's just very uncomfortable so any little thing can wake him.

The vet sounded very positive & I've asked several questions to her. Does anyone have any input or have had a similar experience? I just want to make sure this behavior is normal for a cat with these problems.
Hope he gets well soon.

As for twitching during sleep, he's proably dreaming. Don't think it's anything more serious but it's good to let the vet knows on your next visit or just give him a call to check.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

merlotandasti

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay thank you for the reply