Can Cat Anxiety Be Cured?

Kennethkeen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For the past year I adopted my cat and have noticed severe anxiety grown in him I got him 4 months old he wasn't always like this as a kitten he use to be affectionate. As he got older he just seems so spooked. The smallest step will make him go running or a quick gesture will send him flying.

I know he should be seen for a vet, I know its irresponsible of me not to and a bad excuse as a pet owner to blame money as an issue. But he acts perfectly loving and calm after his episodes. So I'm wondering if there's anything I can buy online that may help? CBD for pets perhaps? Catnip does nothing as he ignores it.

He just acts like he wants to love but then acts so damn startled when you go to get near him also surprisingly attacks a lot. It's really not in me to give back an adopted animal after a year but this has been ongoing and I have no idea why he's had all the love and attention but it feels line affection between pet and owner are fading away. :/

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Has anything changed in your home during the past year? Is he the only pet? Is he neutered?

It could just be that he's not a kitten anymore. My friend's cat is a bit more skittish, now that he's over a year old.

Here's some TCS articles that might have more info:

10 Must-know Tips For Happy Living With A Shy Cat
16 Top Cat Experts Share Tips For Dealing With Timid Cats

Cat Aggression Toward People
How To Stop Playtime Aggression In Cats

Is Your Cat Stressed Out?
Potential Stressors In Cats - The Ultimate Checklist
Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Also, try sitting quietly on the floor and allowing him to approach you. This will take time, but sometimes works when other things have not. Humans look HUGE to a cat, you know. "Getting low" helps with that.