can anyone verify whether these kittens are bengal?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
these are two different kittens, can anyone verify whether either are bengal kittens?

On first photo, all littermates seems to be spotted.  They doesnt seem to be the glorious spots as bengals are renowned for, so although technically they are domestic spotted tabby, but I suppose they could be pet quality bengals.

With that reservation, small kittens arent good to see what the adult will really be alike.

The second photo, we see its a tabby of some sort, but the photo really doenst show anything.   Many tabbies have some spots on the tummy, both mackerel tabby and classic tabby.  It doenst count them as spotted tabby.   And thus, even less, for a bengal.

If you asked if he is a spotted tabby, showing some spots on his tummy, the answer is thus, NO, not unless he has spots on the upper part of the body too.

Bengals are technically tabbies them too, either spotted or classic, but theirs tabby markings are so purebred and refined, its usually clearly visible on adult bengals, whom is whom.

So, the answer depends really on their known story.  

But my guess is, they are domestic.   Almost surely the second photo, but probably the first too.

Although true spotted tabbies arent the most common, so Im sure people will fight to get them, bengal or not.   :)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You may be rather sure only if they are of good quality, show quality or nearly so.

My guess is the first is a  true bengal, althought not of show quality - I would even say - pet quality.    Alternatively he is a natural son to a bengal.

My guess is, the third is a domestic spotted tabby.

Second is most difficult.  He may be a bengal of very pet quality, and normally I would pretend I dont see the post,  but as Im forced to write something, I had say he is domestic spotted tabby.

Them all three live in the same home?

If you want a bengal, but dont afford to go and buy a real pedigreed of good quality from a serious breeder,  you have several alternatives:

The safest is, you buy a retired breeding queen, or stud.    If you are truly offering a good home, you can get such a cat surprising cheaply.  As a serious breeder wants to be sure his retired animals gets good homes.

You can try and hope get an kitten whom didnt got sold.  You will probably get a discount, especielly if that kitten is of pet quality.  (Unsold kittens whom are visibly of coming show quality, or of good breeding quality, do carry full price almost into adulthood).

You can hope to find an adult whom need a new home.  The owner perhaps got sick, or even died...  And the family doesnt wish to have cats.   This situation isnt unique, with adult seeking new home.  Be sure you get their certificates of purebred with you.  Otherwise they are essentially moggies, looks or not.

You can hope to find a purebred in a shelter.  Rare, but it happens.  There are also rescue organizations specializing on purebred, or purebred alikes...

Your last line of defence, is to get a spotted, or nicely marked classical domestic tabby, and pretend you have got yourself a probably bengal.   Being also happy he wont be as energetic and lively as most true begals are...  The demands on suitable owner are lower with a moggie than a purebred bengal.   :)

@sandraa

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

sandraa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
yes, they all are from the same home. not the same litters though

spirited cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They look more like the cat breed Cheetoh.

Or like StefanZ StefanZ says, they may be pet quality bengals. The rosetting of their spots are weak or lacking.